Model 1876 Cartridge (Prairie) Belts and Related Equipment

Hello,

This is my set of prairie belts with other equipment worn on the belt. 

All are in very good shape. All have Watervliet arsenal marking (faint to very clear). Three have clear A.R. Smith inspector marks. Two have the 1879 trial modification (3 brass loops for attaching bayonets, 1880 hunting knives, etc.). One has the 1876 field modification (leather strap for attaching equipment). One appears to be in its original state (not sent to the arsenal for the 1879 trial modification). All hold 45-70 cartridges. I don't have the 50-70 belt or the narrow belt version yet (quite rare). May be some day.

Attached equipment:

Model 1873 Hagner Entrenching Tool,

Model 1873 Rice-Chillingsworth (trowel) bayonet with scabbard and belt loop with US rosette,

Model 1880 Hunting Knife (Watervliet arsenal mark), and

A scarce model 1879 trial angular bayonet scabbard with Model 1873 bayonet (excellent Watervliet arsenal mark and A.R. Smith inspector mark)

prairie belts 2.jpg

prairie belts 3.jpg

prariare belts 1.jpg

20201106_092552.jpg

20201106_092749.jpg

20201106_092823.jpg

20201106_093420.jpg

20201106_093505.jpg

20210531_071600.jpg

20210531_071809_HDR - Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Last week I was fortunate to purchase two model 1876 cartridge (prairie) belts from an online auction. The pictures of the belts on the auction site weren't the best. To my surprise when I received the belts, one was the extremely rare narrow version. Sometimes I get lucky. References state that this belt was the U.S Army’s first official cartridge belt authorized in Dec 1876 in the wake of the issues encountered at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.  These belts were produced at the Watervliet Arsenal in New York. The belt was authorized for use by both the cavalry and infantry and 2,500 of the new pattern cartridge belt were manufactured. The new belt design resolved the verdigris problem because cartridges were now carried in varnished canvas loops rather than leather loops. Verdigris (a green oxidation) could bind the cartridge to the leather loops and even make the cartridges difficult to chamber in the weapon. These belts saw considerable use in 1877 during the Sioux War and the Nez Perce Campaign, as well as general use throughout the West.

The belt is in overall very good condition with moderate fraying on just 3 loops. The belt is stenciled “3” on the inside (rack number/soldier #). The belt is 2 inches wide. Cartridge loops are 1.75 inches long. The leather billet is full length (13 inches). The leather tongues vary on all may prairie belts pictured above. My experimental belt has the 13 inch tongue like this one but my other belts have 10 and 7 inch leather tongues. The leather on this belt is in good condition and still pliable and has a clear Watervliet arsenal mark and faint A.R. Smith inspector mark.

I staged the belt with a box of 1881 Frankford arsenal manufactured 45-70 cartridges I recently picked up. 

Just the 50-70 prairie belt (often carried by scouts) to go. I know of one for sale but the seller wants big bucks. May be I can get lucky again someday!

narrow 1876 prairie belt.jpg

narrow 1876 prairie belt 1.jpg

narrow 1876 prairie belt 2.jpg

narrow 1876 prairie belt 4.jpg

narrow 1876 prairie belt 5.jpg

narrow 1876 prairie belt 3.jpg

Excellent collection!  The condition is amazing considering the harsh conditions seen by this equipment. Are the .45-70 Frankford Arsenal  cartridges inside primed? I noted the indentations near the base of each case.  Thanks for sharing these.

Hello GWS,

Thanks for your post. The cartridges are inside primed and in remarkable condition. No oxidation of the lead. I was amazed when I removed a cartridge. I have a box of 1881 Frankford arsenal 45 LC with significant lead oxidation on the cartridges,

Eric

• 1 month later...

1835298404_50-70PB1.jpg.cbb9c4ca37a538fd385cac4a2d70c2f3.jpgHello,

Well it didn't take me as long as I thought it would to find a reasonably priced very rare 50-70 caliber variant of the U.S. Model 1876 pattern cartridge or prairie cartridge belt. Watervliet Arsenal produced a limited quantity (200) of these belts to carry the .50-70 caliber cartridges. These belts were issued to scouts, teamsters, packers and other civilian employees and auxiliaries attached to the regular army columns, who were armed with any of the .50 caliber Sharps and Springfield carbines and rifles which are known to have been retained in the inventories during the western Indian Wars. For a detailed description, see pages 254-55 of American Military and Naval Belts, 1812-1902 by R. Stephen Dorsey.

This .50 caliber variation of the Prairie Cartridge Belt is 47” overall length, in good original condition, and shows no sign of repair. The leather tongue end is 13 ¼” long and has not been cut or shortened.  The belt body has no tears in the 2 5/16” wide canvas and the seam along the bottom is fully intact.  The belt has 46 cartridge loops of 1 and 15/16 inches length each; three show minor fraying and most are not quite round due to not having cartridges inserted over an extended period.  Two loops are split/torn down most of their length.  The canvas has no unit or ownership markings. The tongue retains legible stamps in the leather for both the WATERVLIET ARSENAL and the Ordnance Department inspector A. R. SMITH.  The leather surface of the tongue shows some crazing and delamination on one section of the inner surface. The belt came with 4 vintage benet primed 50-70 cartridges.

.50 caliber Prairie Belts are important examples of the efforts of the army to properly equip the civilians who supported the army and to meet the needs of the columns on campaign. The very limited original production, and wear and tear to which those .50 caliber belts were subjected – likely used to destruction – has resulted in very few of these rare belts surviving today.

The last photo represents the 3 variations of the US model 1876 cartridge belt. 

The top belt is the very rare narrow variant ( 2 inches wide with .45-70 belt loops) AKA type 1

The middle belt is the very rare .50 caliber variant (2.25 inches wide) AKA type 2

The third belt is the more common type 3 variant (2.5 inches wide with .45-70 belt loops).  The pictured belt is still rare because it has the experimental field modification (leather strap) for carrying the 1880 hunting knife or trowel bayonet.

My US Model 1876 cartridge belt collection is complete now. 

50-70 PB 7.jpg

50-70 PB 6.jpg

50-70 PB 2.jpg

50-70 PB 4.jpg

50-70 PB 5.jpg

50-70 PB 3.jpg

50-70 PB.jpg