Piece of the Great Wall of China circa 1928 China Marine Souvenir

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, diggin4copper said:

I wonder if I would get arrested if I tried to sell it…

Probably if you were in Communist China....here in 'Merica, don't think so.  But still, hard thing to prove.  I don't doubt it's legit, but just could be any old rock.

Taking pieces of The Great Wall would certainly be frowned upon today, if not outright illegal.

Parts of the Great Wall fell into disrepair over the centuries,  and this may have come from a rubble pile from the ruins at the time.

My understanding is many sections have been restored,  both out of national pride but also for tourism. 

Countries are very protective of their heritage sites.  I saw a bored tourist in Greece almost get arrested for taking a small rock and starting to scribe a line on a larger flat slab.  I think this was at Olympus as I remember the trees.  Whistles blew and a flurry of unseen tourist police came flying out of nowhere.  You would have thought she'd of assaulted someone.   Some quick talking from our guide got her out of it, but she was pretty rattled for the rest of the day.

If you look at photos of the wall during the China Marine era there where numerous sections of the wall that had collapsed, were dug out, pillaged by locals for other building projects. Rubble lay everywhere….not surprising a young Marine on a YMCA trip would pick up a small piece of rubble to bring home….at the time the wall was almost abandoned and rather desolate….of course since the 50’s that has changed….and now such behavior would as pointed out be frowned upon. I once meet an old China hand who at the end of WWII who claimed he had roof tile fragment from the Forbidden city. 

Salvage Sailor

"Take only photos, leave only footprints"  USNPS Sign seen in many US National Parks & Monuments

1 hour ago, 268th C.A. said:

Give it to Snyder's he'll sell it as a Moon Rock! (if he could) Ha Ha...

Charlie Snyder is long dead and gone.  But if he was still around, he'd amp up the sale somehow... 

• 5 months later...
aerialbridge

Confucius say, "Picture of honorable Great Uncle at Great Wall worth thousand dubious Great Wall small rocks."

Ganbei.

Yeah, I got a piece of the old King Dome (demolished circa 2000) just another piece of concrete, lost among the other rocks and debris in the yard.😁