Coast Guard question - Miami Beach

LE LOUP DES MERS

LE LOUP DES MERS

Hey guys, so I got this old 60s era usn bomber jacket. When I did some research I read that the coast guard did not have their own leather jackets so the navy supplied the coast guard with their jackets. I also read that coast guard members who went to Vietnam where assigned to either a boat unit, or helicopter/fighter pilot unit. In my case the guy was assigned to an ARRS unit and I read a lot of articles/talked to a lot of Vietnam historians who said coast guard pilots would often be assigned to huey ARRS units. Anyway, so to get to my question: so I did a ton of reaching and found that the guy who wore the jacket was stationed at Miami air station before being sent to Vietnam. I was wondering what that patch would have looked like in the 60s my jacket is missing the patch. I know Miami air station was around sense the 30s to 40s so their is no way the patch remind the same I will post a picture of what the patch looks like now or logo and if someone could tell me what it looked like in the 60s I would appreciate that. (I will post a picture of the bomber jacket when I get off work).

download.jpeg

While I don't know about the patch, here is a picture of My Grampa's leather USN jacket. He was a lifer in the USCG, from 1947-68, so this is from then. :)

USNjacket.jpg.3715af8d20867da436a08865a9c7a5f1.jpg

LE LOUP DES MERS

Nice, yeah my jacket was never owned by family just one I bought at a surplus store it's dated 66 or 67 I believe, it has the ARRS patch in the front along with a name patch and an American flag patch however it's missing the money Miami patch. When I get off work I will definitely post it 

Salvage Sailor

Yes, the top patch is 1960's and the red stripe patch is circa 1967

LE LOUP DES MERS

By chance do you know where I can find an original patch and I'm guessing either one will work?

Salvage Sailor

I'd look for both and see which one comes up first.

eBay, placing a wanted advertisement here on the forum wanted page, militaria shows and online sales are your best options.

TheCrustyBosun

USCG Base Miami Beach is a different facility than Air Station Miami Beach. Not sure if it has always been that way…

LE LOUP DES MERS

Yeah, the logo I posted above is where he would have been stationed at before being sent to Vietnam it even says on my jacket were he was stationed at. If your correct that means the eagle patch would be the wrong one then. 

TheCrustyBosun

The Base is home to multiple units. There’s a small boat station, an aids to navigation team, a buoy tender, several patrol boats, and I’m sure there’s a couple of engineering team shops that perform maintenance for other group  units.  I’m pretty confident that the flyboys had their own patch. 

LE LOUP DES MERS

Well just got off work here is the bomber jacket I promised I post. It's dated 66 or 67 I can't remember on the top of my head. On the inside of the jacket is carved uscg 20140-75 (hard to see on camera). In gold you can barley read what appears to be C something A something S the rest is faded, no. 75 Miami air station if I had to guess it properly either says coast or guard no 75 Miami air station. Above the faded C,A,S letters their appears to be more gold lettering but to faded to read. Let me know if your able to find any more info on this guy I don't know much only what I listed above.p4013coll8_2211.pdf ps ignore this pdf file I tried to delete it but can't for some reason. 

IMG_20210809_192150_1CS~2.jpg

IMG_20210809_192209~2.jpg

IMG_20210809_192243~2.jpg

IMG_20210809_192307.jpg

IMG_20210809_192404~2.jpg

IMG_20210809_192508~2.jpg

IMG_20210809_192521.jpg

IMG_20210809_192556~2.jpg

LE LOUP DES MERS

Yeah I wish I new more about this man all I know is he got sent to Vietnam during the 60s. Got assigned to the ARRS unit you see on the jacket, as a copilot.

LE LOUP DES MERS

Anyone reading my post, feel free to post your bomber jacket if you want to show it off I would love to see the jackets you guys got in your collection

LE LOUP DES MERS
On 8/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

I'd look for both and see which one comes up first.

eBay, placing a wanted advertisement here on the forum wanted page, militaria shows and online sales are your best options.

So I did actually find the eagle coast guard patch for $15 free shipping. How do I tell if it's a fake from reproduction? I tried contacting the sell but got nothing. Sadly in today's world we fake everything

• 2 weeks later...

A bit comical but the maker of the jacket "Star Sportswear" is or was located in Lynn, Ma. my wife worked there in the early 70s right after we got married.

• 1 month later...