Test pilot helmet help please

blademan

Greetings,

I picked this flight helmet up today. It is out of my area of knowledge and would very much appreciate your help. 

I'm looking for info on the Pilot as I havent found any info online, what type of helmet this is, rarity of the helmet, and while not for sale, I am interested in opinions of value. 

The helmet came from an estate where the dealer I purchased this from only got this helmet and a fountain pen holder. Apparently he missed the rest of his flight gear :-(

The helmet belonged to Captain B.W. Howells and is marked "Wright Air Development Center..." on a decal located above the right ear.

I also believe he may have been a test pilot on the flying wing since he had the same insignia on the pen set. 

The helmet liner is in rough shape and visor is broken. That said it is a very nice piece. 

I originally passed on this and thought about it for a few hours and went back and bought it. I'm grateful it was still there. 

It wasnt cheap, uncertain of the model,  and have no idea what's is worth. 

Thank you in advance. 

20210808_231113.jpg

20210808_231026.jpg

20210808_182518.jpg

20210808_182532.jpg

20210808_230854.jpg

20210808_231052.jpg

20210808_230801.jpg

manayunkman

I’ve never seen one but it’s cool as heck.

Wonder if the visor was damaged while he was at work?

Helmet is close to "TOPTEX" 3BM. May be early as visor mounts are different. No mask receivers. Has leather and snaps like a P-4  Visor looks to be the same as a P-4. Chin strap and pad are P-4 . PM me if you want to replace visor , I have a few. 

30 minutes ago, 72psb said:

Helmet is close to "TOPTEX" 3BM. May be early as visor mounts are different. No mask receivers. Has leather and snaps like a P-4  Visor looks to be the same as a P-4. Chin strap and pad are P-4 . PM me if you want to replace visor , I have a few. 

The system says you cant recieve PMS for some reason. 

Thank you for your reply to my post on the helmet I posted.  Your info is very helpful. 

Because of the mixed bag of features on this helmet, it caused me confusing trying to I'd.  Could it be an earlier Lombard helmet that has been updated along the way?  

I would like to replace the broken shield. Can you please try to pm me?

Thanks again

20 hours ago, AustinO said:

Thanks for the great info. I very much appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, phantomfixer said:

I read Lombard became Topex…

I also read the same.  Lombard with Northrop developed the Toptex.  I have heard Northrop was at Wright so maybe there is a connection?

Gorgeous helmet! Outstanding pen holder! 👀 

Here is some info regarding the Air Force ARDC decal: 

Air Research and Development Command (ARDC) was created, and was assigned responsibility for all USAF research and development (R&D) programs. Edwards Air Force Base was transferred from Air Materiel Command (AMC) to the newly created ARDC and officially designated as its flight testing center. This began a 41-year separation of the Air Force’s R&D and logistics functions.

Air Materiel Command (AMC) was a United States Army Air Forces and United States Air Force command. Its headquarters was located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In 1961, the command was redesignated the Air Force Logistics Command with some of its functions transferred to the new Air Force Systems Command.  In 1946 AAF Technical Service Command was redesignated Air Materiel Command, and the air technical service commands were reorganized as Air Materiel Areas:

I'm thinking my helmet could be a Lombard prototype with a later visor assembly. The same visor I have seen on early toptex 3am models. All of the toptex leather liners i have seen online have a perforated set of holes over the speakers in the liner and the Lombard examples I have seen  only have one large hole in the  leather pad over the ear speaker . Not sure if early toptex had perforated ear holes. 

With no bayonet lug o2 connectors, a nape strap or perpetrator leather speaker holes, this lead me in the lombard direction. There are also some later P series parts such as the chin strap as helpfully pointed out on this thread.

The original owner of the helmet was at Edwards in 1950 where he met his wife (mentioned in his obituary so kindly provided in the responses) and wright field sometime after that. 

Obviously the USAF on the wright sticker would place this sticker after the formation of the USAF in 1947, however, not sure that helps date the helmet. 

Hopefully someone with more experience than me on these helmets will know if this is a Lombard, Toptex, or a P series helmet, or if there is a difference between a Lombard and Toptex.

Thanks in advance. 

• 4 months later...

Hello Blademan, et.al,

I am Bob Howells, the pilot's son. It appears our father's helmet has landed with someone who appreciates its significance, and for that I'm glad. My sister, Suz, and I reluctantly let it go in an estate sale after our mother died. We're both at a point in our lives where we're paring down possessions—although we do still have a fair number of his military possessions.

He was indeed a pilot during the Right Stuff era at Edwards, and was very involved in the development of the Flying Wing. He flew the N9MB model prototype and one of the two YB-49 Flying Wings. He believed strongly in the design and always spoke critically (and wistfully) about the politics that killed the development of the aircraft. I have some writing he did about the Flying Wing that he sent to a book author, but I don't believe the writer ever got his book off the ground.

How Billy came to be involved with Northrop, I don't know. He wasn't a test pilot per se. He was chief of aircraft maintenance, and was current in 16 different aircraft while at Edwards/Muroc. But he let the hotshots push the envelope.

Before Edwards, Dad flew transports in China during WWII and B-29s out of Okinawa during the Korean War. He did indeed have a long posting at Wright-Patterson (from 1954–61), another in Korea, and a final posting at Laughlin AFB in Texas.

He was a classic "officer and a gentleman" who loved nothing more than flying. Anything, anywhere, for any reason.

By the way, I don't believe the visor was cracked in the line of duty. More likely by a couple of rowdy boys!

I'd love to hear an update on the status of the helmet. And again, my sister and I are happy to hear that it's being admired and appreciated.

This is a very gallant move Bob, thank you for the great information about your father's carreer and the hommage you paid him.

You made evey helmet collector's dream : having the owner certified, and getting to know more about him.
If you have any picture of him you are willing to share with us (bonus with his flight gear 😉), don't hesitate !

- Gauthier

PS : excellent-looking helmet and pen holder, Blademan, great score, two cool rarities which are both YB-49 related and certified !

I'm sure envious !

On 12/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bob Howells said:

Hello Blademan, et.al,

I am Bob Howells, the pilot's son. It appears our father's helmet has landed with someone who appreciates its significance, and for that I'm glad. My sister, Suz, and I reluctantly let it go in an estate sale after our mother died. We're both at a point in our lives where we're paring down possessions—although we do still have a fair number of his military possessions.

He was indeed a pilot during the Right Stuff era at Edwards, and was very involved in the development of the Flying Wing. He flew the N9MB model prototype and one of the two YB-49 Flying Wings. He believed strongly in the design and always spoke critically (and wistfully) about the politics that killed the development of the aircraft. I have some writing he did about the Flying Wing that he sent to a book author, but I don't believe the writer ever got his book off the ground.

How Billy came to be involved with Northrop, I don't know. He wasn't a test pilot per se. He was chief of aircraft maintenance, and was current in 16 different aircraft while at Edwards/Muroc. But he let the hotshots push the envelope.

Before Edwards, Dad flew transports in China during WWII and B-29s out of Okinawa during the Korean War. He did indeed have a long posting at Wright-Patterson (from 1954–61), another in Korea, and a final posting at Laughlin AFB in Texas.

He was a classic "officer and a gentleman" who loved nothing more than flying. Anything, anywhere, for any reason.

By the way, I don't believe the visor was cracked in the line of duty. More likely by a couple of rowdy boys!

I'd love to hear an update on the status of the helmet. And again, my sister and I are happy to hear that it's being admired and appreciated.

Bob, 

Thank you so much for your input on your fathers flight helmet and his history. We all very much appreciate his service to our country. 

I feel very honored to be the care taker of his helmet.

I sent you a pm and will be happy to give you and update. 

Thanks again

Blademan

• 4 weeks later...

Good on yah,  Blademan! That's a beautiful, rare and valuable find, indeed! It is definitely an early TOPTEX and with provenance like that (Capt. Howell, his association with the N9MB and YB-35/49 Northrop wings) as well as the great ARDC graphics, you have snagged a superb specimen. One of those 'Holy Grail' items that all flight gear people lust over! Congratulations. Having the gentleman's son 'in touch' to corroborate is frosting on the cake, as it were!

I was raised near Edwards AFFTC, back in the 50s and still have ties to ALSE there. What's interesting to me is that despite the Edwards AFB Museum being smack in the heart of that storied research center, collectors often know more about what went on there in the early days than USAF historians themselves. Dr. Keith Jamieson, who has perhaps the most astounding collection of VERY early (so-called "jet-age") bone-domes in the entire world and who was a contemporary of both Major John Stapp and Charles Lombard (who inherited many of Lombard's own collected helmets) would, I am sure, laud your acquisition. They didn't call that immediate post-war period at Muroc the 'Golden Age of Flight Test' for nothing, of course!

Things are very different there now, but back in the 50s (and early 60s, when they were madly destroying all those now-priceless and rarely found surviving K-1 pressure helmet faceplates) you could write a friendly letter to the Base Commander and ask for a K-1 faceplate (which would invariably be sent to you with compliments from the Deputy BC).  Sigh! 😲

7 hours ago, DocBoink said:

Good on yah,  Blademan! That's a beautiful, rare and valuable find, indeed! It is definitely an early TOPTEX and with provenance like that (Capt. Howell, his association with the N9MB and YB-35/49 Northrop wings) as well as the great ARDC graphics, you have snagged a superb specimen. One of those 'Holy Grail' items that all flight gear people lust over! Congratulations. Having the gentleman's son 'in touch' to corroborate is frosting on the cake, as it were!

I was raised near Edwards AFFTC, back in the 50s and still have ties to ALSE there. What's interesting to me is that despite the Edwards AFB Museum being smack in the heart of that storied research center, collectors often know more about what went on there in the early days than USAF historians themselves. Dr. Keith Jamieson, who has perhaps the most astounding collection of VERY early (so-called "jet-age") bone-domes in the entire world and who was a contemporary of both Major John Stapp and Charles Lombard (who inherited many of Lombard's own collected helmets) would, I am sure, laud your acquisition. They didn't call that immediate post-war period at Muroc the 'Golden Age of Flight Test' for nothing, of course!

Things are very different there now, but back in the 50s (and early 60s, when they were madly destroying all those now-priceless and rarely found surviving K-1 pressure helmet faceplates) you could write a friendly letter to the Base Commander and ask for a K-1 faceplate (which would invariably be sent to you with compliments from the Deputy BC).  Sigh! 😲

DocBoink,

Thank you for your insight and input. I do feel very honored to be the caretaker of this piece of history.  I hope to do it justice by including Mr Howells story in my public displays.

Again, I am also very grateful for Mr. Howlell's family for sharing with on this thread.    

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

helmet man,  

Bob Howell's helmet is definitively a "LOMBARD" helmet.   The visor mounting to the helmet is very unusual.  I have not seen this particular mounting on any helmet previously!  It is quite unique.   The visor assembly and knob are also typical of those used on "Lombard" helmets   I would date this helmet to the late 1940's.   Interestingly, this helmet is almost identical to the one worn by Bob Cardenas.  Bob's helmet, however, has a P-4 type visor assembly   I have General Cardena's helmet in my collection.   It is inscribed "Bob Cardenas, YB-49 1948".  It is the helmet that he wore when he flew over the White House!  After reading the post from Bob Howell's son, I believe that Bob Cardenas and Bob Howell must have known each other.  They were both involved with the flying wing at Edwards Air Force Base.  Bob Cardenas resides in San Diego, Ca.  If I have the opportunity to talk to Bob, I will ask him if he knew Bob Howell.  The two men were contemporaries at the same time, the same place and the same project!!   They must have obtained their nearly identical helmets at about the same time.  Interestingly, Bob Cardenas had a P=4 type visor, however, Bob Howell had a prototype "Lombard" visor.  I would date these two helmets to 1947-1948.

In these posts, Blademan wrote, "Lombard with Northrup developed the Toptex helmet.   This is not true!  Northrup was NOT involved with development of the "Lombard" or Toptex helmet.    At another time, I will write about the development of these early helmets.  helmet man, "Dr. J" 

helmet man, Dear blademan:  Please, do NOT refer to John Stapp as a Major!  He would immediately correct you.  He was Colonel John P. Stapp.  Thank you.  helmet man, "Dr.J".

1 hour ago, Helmet man said:

helmet man,  

Bob Howell's helmet is definitively a "LOMBARD" helmet.   The visor mounting to the helmet is very unusual.  I have not seen this particular mounting on any helmet previously!  It is quite unique.   The visor assembly and knob are also typical of those used on "Lombard" helmets   I would date this helmet to the late 1940's.   Interestingly, this helmet is almost identical to the one worn by Bob Cardenas.  Bob's helmet, however, has a P-4 type visor assembly   I have General Cardena's helmet in my collection.   It is inscribed "Bob Cardenas, YB-49 1948".  It is the helmet that he wore when he flew over the White House!  After reading the post from Bob Howell's son, I believe that Bob Cardenas and Bob Howell must have known each other.  They were both involved with the flying wing at Edwards Air Force Base.  Bob Cardenas resides in San Diego, Ca.  If I have the opportunity to talk to Bob, I will ask him if he knew Bob Howell.  The two men were contemporaries at the same time, the same place and the same project!!   They must have obtained their nearly identical helmets at about the same time.  Interestingly, Bob Cardenas had a P=4 type visor, however, Bob Howell had a prototype "Lombard" visor.  I would date these two helmets to 1947-1948.

In these posts, Blademan wrote, "Lombard with Northrup developed the Toptex helmet.   This is not true!  Northrup was NOT involved with development of the "Lombard" or Toptex helmet.    At another time, I will write about the development of these early helmets.  helmet man, "Dr. J" 

Thanks for your insight. Would be very interesting to hear any stories Bob Cardenas may have about Bob Howell.

I would also be very interested in hearing more about the development of the Lombard helmet. The info I mentioned came from the web.  I have very limited knowledge of Jet Age helmets. 

Thanks again 

Bob Howells here.

It’s interesting that Helmet Man made the connection between my father and Gen. Cardenas.

First, to avoid confusion, I want to clarify our names. Blademan’s helmet belonged to my father, Billy Howells. Howells with an S; not Howell, and his name wasn’t Bob. My name is Bob—Billy’s son.

Yes, Billy Howells and Bob Cardenas were contemporaries at Edwards/Muroc. I’m astounded to learn that Gen. Cardenas is still alive, age 101! My father would be nearly 104. He died in 1995.

Now, just to add a bit of intrigue: My father, a very skilled and careful pilot, had little respect for Cardenas. He considered him an egotistical showoff. So keep that in mind if you get the chance to speak to the esteemed general!

Also, you guys will be interested in seeing a photo I have of my father, almost certainly at Edwards, standing on the flight strip holding a different, visorless, helmet.

The shot I have is a bit fuzzy. I’m going to look for a sharper image.

Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...
Kirkus Maximus

The helmet is in fact a Toptex 3AM and was made by Protection, Inc. Division of Mine Safety Appliance Company.  I have only seen one other in similar configuration (see the attached, not my images) same visor mounting hardware and same visor track guide.

vintage-toptex-3am-jet-pilots-flight.png

Kirkus Maximus
21 minutes ago, Kirkus Maximus said:

The helmet is in fact a Toptex 3AM and was made by Protection, Inc. Division of Mine Safety Appliance Company.  I have only seen one other in similar configuration (see the attached, not my images) same visor mounting hardware and same visor track guide.

vintage-toptex-3am-jet-pilots-flight.png

Protection Inc. later merged with Gentex. Dr. Charles Lombard was the designer of these stylized helmets while Toptex manufactured.

• 3 weeks later...

In a previous post, I commented about Bob Cardenas and a possible connection to Billy Howells.   I was shocked to read from Bob Howells post that Bob Cardenas and Billy Howells actually knew each other!  Unfortunately, I will not be able to speak to General Cardenas about his relationship with Billy Howells.  My friend, Bob Cardenas died last week on his 102nd birthday.   I will be attending his memorial this week.  I would enjoy speaking with Bob Howell about his Father's relationship with General Cardenas and his time at Edwards Air Force Base.  That was a very exciting, interesting and historical time.  Aviation history was being made daily.  I was very fortunate to have spent some time at Edwards.  I knew Bob Cardenas, Chuck Yeager, John Stapp, Pete Knight, and many other aviation greats.  I can only say that I was EXTREMELY fortunate.