Note to self: always ask how big something is in a live online auction...What is this? ID: Squad Bag

albatrosdva

albatrosdva

So...I bought this going by the first two pictures which are the auction pictures. Auction description says "Military subtle pack from the US Army 40th."

image.png.7ac425e76c2e862d8e99ae85cf58cc95.png

image.png.f981bd00e2ac26183996250a6d602bcd.png

Based on these two pictures I thought it was going to be a haversack or possibly a backpack. I do believe it to be of the Spanish American War or Philippine Insurrection period but what the heck is it? It's got a banker's box inside to give it some shape and that will give you some size reference

DSCF8330.JPG

DSCF8331.JPG

DSCF8332.JPG

DSCF8333.JPG

DSCF8334.JPG

It is the Squad Surplus Bag, M1910 I think, for the 12th Squad, Company G, 40th Infantry. Each squad had one. It carried the spare clothing and a squad rifle cleaning kit for that squad to the field. These were transported on company transport, motorized or horse/mule drawn.

WWI Squad bag. Do a google or forum search and you'll find lots of info. They are about 36-40 inches long and about 20 inches in diameter, roughly

US Victory Museum

I've heard collectors call them "Squad Bags"; they're used for carrying extra (replacement) clothing or miscellaneous cloth items.

It is neither Spanish-American War nor Philippine War era, so please request a moderator to move it from this group topic.

I have an early one dated 1913; however, the vast majority are found with 1917 contract markings.  Your bag seems to be missing

most of the buckles and straps for securing it for transport.

Squad Bag.jpg

Squad Bag _01f (Aug 1917).jpg

try this thread, explains it all.

Guess I do not know how to attach a link. Field Gear section titled; Mystery Bag?.........use that title in search engine.

Seems its official nomenclature is simply Surplus Kit Bag

Mystery bag? - FIELD & PERSONAL GEAR SECTION - U.S. Militaria Forum (usmilitariaforum.com)