Any suggestions for the Myrtle Beach area?

TheCrustyBosun

TheCrustyBosun

On the way to Myrtle Beach for the annual family vacation. Does anyone know of any places in the area between Charleston and Wilmington that may be worth a look for militaria?  Thanks. 

439th Signal Battalion

I drove from Myrtle Beach to Wilmington/Ft. Fisher for a day trip last year.  There was an Army Surplus store on the road going from Wilmington to Carolina Beach-Ft. Fisher but I can't remember the name of it.  It was decent from what I remember but I didn't find anything I was looking for.  By the way, be careful about going into downtown Myrtle Beach in the evening.  Its's gotten pretty violent there.  Most with families avoid the area and go north. 

TheCrustyBosun

439th,

Thanks for the tip. We stay away from the boulevard especially at night here. My wife’s family has been vacationing here for over 50 years and has seen the changes. Sad. 

TheCrustyBosun

Strickland’s Surplus Inc. 

5915 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC  28412

(This place has some good reviews online.  I’ll be taking my daughter up to see the USS North Carolina and we’ll stop in. It’s 20 minutes away from the museum.)

American Army Navy

2109 S Kings Hwy
Myrtle Beach, SC  29577
United States

(Reviews indicate it’s more of a novelty shop than a surplus store.  It’s about 10 minutes from our condo, so I’ll stop by and report back.)

439th Signal Battalion

Strickland's.  That's it!  If you have the time, drive down a little further and visit Ft. Fisher and the museum there.

Not military, but worth the visit. Brook Green Gardens ,Murrells Inlet ,SC . Tons of sculptures and art. Also a great canal boat tour of the rice fields.

• 2 weeks later...
TheCrustyBosun

Visited Strickland’s yesterday. Definitely a surplus store. Not a bad little shop. Most of the surplus was from Desert Storm and newer. A few older items in there. Used uniforms aside from fatigues were slim pickings. Found a couple of WWII vintage Army dress uniforms, but the rest was much more modern. Was met at the door by a large bin of chocolate chip cammies. 2/3 of the store is surplus and the rest is new web gear, tactical, footwear and fatigues. Obligatory wall of veteran pride stuff, decals, insignia, nunchucks, knives, swords, and grab bins of used patches. Definitely worth poking through the bins of assorted stuff. Prices seem about average. Didn’t see anything that I really wanted so I don’t know if the guy is really firm on his price tags. Nice guy, seems as though he’d keep an eye out if you’re looking for something specific. Nice little stop if you’re in the neighborhood. 

Strickland’s Surplus Inc. 

5915 Carolina Beach Rd
Wilmington, NC  28412