Yangtze Patrol 1934 Basketball Champion Team U.S.S. Guam

Hello,

I am not sure what to call this.  A charm?  It is about the size of a malted milk ball.  I was told it is 10 carat gold, but I don't know for sure.

This item is engraved to H.E. Campbell, Forward and Team Captain.

The photo is from the March 1987 issue of "Yangtze River Patroller", the quarterly newsletter of the Yangtze River Patrol Association (YRPA).  The caption for the photo seems to be mixed up, as the front row has five people and the second row has four people, not the other way around as listed in the caption (though the coach does appear to be in the back row).  So, I am not exactly sure which man in the photo is H.E. Campbell.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

USS Guam 1934 Championship Basketball Team.jpg

1934 10K GOLD U.S.S. Guam Basketball Championship Pendent 1.jpg

1934 10K GOLD U.S.S. Guam Basketball Championship Pendent 2.jpg

1934 10K GOLD U.S.S. Guam Basketball Championship Pendent 3.jpg

1934 10K GOLD U.S.S. Guam Basketball Championship Pendent 4.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Yes, a USN Championship Basketball Charm, and very nice indeed. 

1776034677_USSGUAM001.jpg.9c97d046533bb5a57d6a3d753df0bf1b.jpg

His shallow draft Gunboat, the USS GUAM, had a rather noteworthy career.  She was built in China for the Navy in 1927 and after he served on her in the 1930's she continued her China Service on the Yangtze and in 1941 was renamed the USS WAKE to make her name available for new construction.  Instead, she was captured on the first day of the war, December 8th, 1941, repaired, and became the IJN TATARA.  Recaptured in Japan in 1945 (the Navy prefers "Recovered"), she was given to the Nationalist Chinese and named the TAI YUAN.  In 1949 she was captured by the Communist Chinese and probably became a scow, fate unknown.

21 hours ago, stbryson said:

Hello,

I am not sure what to call this. 

I think the word you're looking for is "awesome"

These were normally given out to members of sports teams playing in China….the Fourth Marines would award small silver basketballs, footballs to its regimental members at the conclusion of their season