USMC Khaki Tunic

kristopher5502

kristopher5502

I got this USMC khaki tunic the other week. From what I've found out so far... my understanding is that these are from the 1930s. I tried to find an example of this tunic somewhere in a reference book out there. The closest I found was in Moran's book on USMC uniforms. However, his example doesn't have skirt pockets and has belt loops but, as you can see from the my photos, mine has skirt pockets and NO belt loops. The tunic doesn't have any tags or markings to help me identify it so I was hoping someone here could help. Thanks

P2070173.jpg

P2070176.jpg

P2070175.jpg

P2070179.jpg

P2070182.jpg

P2070183.jpg

I got this USMC khaki tunic the other week. From what I've found out so far... my understanding is that these are from the 1930s. I tried to find an example of this tunic somewhere in a reference book out there. The closest I found was in Moran's book on USMC uniforms. However, his example doesn't have skirt pockets and has belt loops but, as you can see from the my photos, mine has skirt pockets and NO belt loops. The tunic doesn't have any tags or markings to help me identify it so I was hoping someone here could help. Thanks

The 2 pocket examples were for enlisted personel, the 4 pocket like this one was for an officer.

This is a nice example - check the lining closely and see if it is named anywhere.

Mark

kristopher5502
The 2 pocket examples were for enlisted personel, the 4 pocket like this one was for an officer.

Oh wow, that's cool. Thanks for your insights.

The tunic is in great shape but unfortunately it is missing one button. I am hoping to find one at some point to complete the tunic.

The tunic is in great shape but unfortunately it is missing one button. I am hoping to find one at some point to complete the tunic.

What make is the button on the reverse?

Mark

kristopher5502

All the buttons have the same markings on the back which read: The Hilborn-Hamburger Inc. Viking N.Y.

The buttons along the front measure 1 inch in diameter and the pocket buttons measure 5/8 inch diameter.

Every button is domed, black on the front and bronze on the back.

kristopher5502
Black? Are you sure they aren't brown?

You look at the photos and judge for yourself. They look black to me. Maybe I'm colorblind or just can't tell the difference (I routinely wear one black and one navy blue sock thinking they are the same until my Art teacher wife corrects me) but the buttons definitely look more black then brown.