WWII Bail Out Bottle

dmar836

Measured it all out and got it pretty close. I dipped it in black paint as they likely did. Thought about tapering the tail end but just couldn't feel it in there enough to be sure. Looking at the pic now it appears to be tapered like the other end. I can fix that tomorrow.

Crusty, did you find a hose? Didn't know if you had the pipe stem or not. Yours gratis if you could use it.

Dave

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

13 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Measured it all out and got it pretty close. I dipped it in black paint as they likely did. Thought about tapering the tail end but just couldn't feel it in there enough to be sure. Looking at the pic now it appears to be tapered like the other end. I can fix that tomorrow.

Crusty, did you find a hose? Didn't know if you had the pipe stem or not. Yours gratis if you could use it.

Dave

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

Magnificent work!!!  If I were not looking for this, it would go right by me.  And I would not be looking for this - I would be looking for signs of a replaced hose - but NOW I will be looking for this ....

Thank you. I think the 8-fluted crimp on both ends of the hose would be harder to duplicate and, if those were missing, more of an indicator it had been messed with. The proximal end is actually a cap with a hole in it that is then crimped in place so that would be more difficult than the band at the stem pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about these being faked. Not really a money maker. If a person had the need for the stem pipe they would likely not have one to replicate but ya never know. I have never heard of anyone making one before. Thought it would be fun to do. I could get it perfect if I made a simple form gauge and tried again.

Dave

3 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Thank you. I think the 8-fluted crimp on both ends of the hose would be harder to duplicate and, if those were missing, more of an indicator it had been messed with. The proximal end is actually a cap with a hole in it that is then crimped in place so that would be more difficult than the band at the stem pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about these being faked. Not really a money maker. If a person had the need for the stem pipe they would likely not have one to replicate but ya never know. I have never heard of anyone making one before. Thought it would be fun to do. I could get it perfect if I made a simple form gauge and tried again.

Dave

I agree - no real incentive to do this ... UNLESS someone had a cache of bottles and bags with missing hoses!.  I really do not recall seeing these at Alan's in the 1990's with missing hoses, but many had broken or decaying hoses.  

On 1/15/2022 at 8:42 PM, dmar836 said:

Half a crew's worth. The boxed one and the '45-yellow-tagged one both have green hoses. The boxed one has a different, aluminum gauge.

thumbnail9.jpg

Just a curiosity, but if you get a chance, please let us know the dates on the bottles with black-cased gauges.  I may well be wrong, but I think the aluminum gauge cases were not used before 1943, or at least that's what my memory is sorta recalling from the 1990's cache at Alan's.  

Well, of the black aluminum-gauged bottles three are dated 10-43 and one dates to 4-44 so that jibes.

The boxed steel-gauge(though it looks aluminum) is dated 5-44 so my latest bottle is a steel gauge and all the earlier ones are aluminum gauges. None of these are particularly early as far as the air war goes but these would make it appear the switch was from aluminum to steel around 4-44 or 5-44 at least for this/these mfgs.

Not sure if this is what you were suggesting but if the steel gauges were first, this one was still around on a 5/44 bottle. And it was NOS in the box.

More than once lately, my cursory observations have led my to comment and be corrected by literature so don't take my interpretation too seriously.

Dave

P.S If these were depot'd then things could have been mixed and matched but I see no evidence of that. One of the the earlier ones was yellow tagged in '45.

14 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Well, of the black aluminum-gauged bottles three are dated 10-43 and one dates to 4-44 so that jibes.

The boxed steel-gauge(though it looks aluminum) is dated 5-44 so my latest bottle is a steel gauge and all the earlier ones are aluminum gauges. None of these are particularly early as far as the air war goes but these would make it appear the switch was from aluminum to steel around 4-44 or 5-44 at least for this/these mfgs.

Not sure if this is what you were suggesting but if the steel gauges were first, this one was still around on a 5/44 bottle. And it was NOS in the box.

More than once lately, my cursory observations have led my to comment and be corrected by literature so don't take my interpretation too seriously.

Dave

P.S If these were depot'd then things could have been mixed and matched but I see no evidence of that. One of the the earlier ones was yellow tagged in '45.

Thank you very much!  I need to see what my gauges are, but my memory is all are black.  I know most of my bottles, if not all, are dated 1942:  My memory is the vast majority Alan had were dated 1942, and those are surely what I would have targeted for my own collection, as well as for resale.  

Great info shared on these.

Just wanted to say Thank You.

I tried to LIKE it, but it seems that I have used my quota of Like's for the day!!!

I know that somewhere during this trip down this rabbit hole, I am going to need to add one of these.

Thanks Again!

Semper Fi

Phil 

Looks like Flighthelmets.com has the hose with mouth piece for $5. 

I had ordered something from them, So the shipping is going to bump up that price a bit!!LOL!!

The hose looks like it is not clamped but has the mouth piece if needed.

Here is the link if anybody in the future needs a hose/mouth piece.

https://www.flighthelmet.com/BASK.html

Semper Fi

Phil 

Phil, Your link is to an empty shopping cart. All I saw was the hose with stem pipe for $45. My guess is that is replacement black hose. So for a few dollars in hose and a home-turned stem pipe, well...

I should add that my earlier observations may be incorrect. I thought some of my hoses were black but it might be the aging process on green hose. Black would be fine for a recreation but I think the "ARCTIC"-stamped hoses are a dark green.  

Dave

23 hours ago, dmar836 said:

<snip>

I should add that my earlier observations may be incorrect. I thought some of my hoses were black but it might be the aging process on green hose. Black would be fine for a recreation but I think the "ARCTIC"-stamped hoses are a dark green.  

Dave

100% agreed!!!

TheCrustyBosun
On 1/19/2022 at 11:29 PM, dmar836 said:

Dave

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.jpg

The hose is on the way. However, I still need a pipe stem. 

Wooden stem production has been changed over to other, more involved, metal items but we might have one stem left. Our warehouse has recently responded that there is one stem left but it's the original prototype. Our board has now met and determined that the only prototype may be released. The price of our last stem is set at... $free.

I thought it was a misprint but it has been confirmed. PM sent.

Dave 

TheCrustyBosun
4 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Wooden stem production has been changed over to other, more involved, metal items but we might have one stem left. Our warehouse has recently responded that there is one stem left but it's the original prototype. Our board has now met and determined that the only prototype may be released. The price of our last stem is set at... $free.

I thought it was a misprint but it has been confirmed. PM sent.

Dave 

This is great news and much appreciated. Please convey my thanks to the members of the board and your CEO. Thanks, Dave!