Oahu - Historic Sites to Visit?

patrick_usmc

patrick_usmc

Hello all,

I hope this is posted in the correct section, my apologies if it isn't. 

I'm planning to visit Oahu this December, and thought I'd throw out a line asking for suggestions of where to visit. I've been scouring the web, but it's difficult to sift through what's actually accessible without a CAC (I don't have one), and what's just an advertisement.

I would love to be able to get to as many historic sites as possible on this trip, especially those related to the attack on Pearl Harbor. So - any suggestions?

First specific question - should we sign up for one of these tours? I'm hesitant to spend money on a tour if it's just going to be a regurgitation of basic facts and will only take me places that I could get myself (USS Arizona Memorial and Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum), but if it would give me access to other places or provide some real in depth information I think it'd be worth it, especially if there are tours that obtain access permission into otherwise restricted areas of historical interest (like old buildings that are technically 'on base', I'm not trying to get anywhere secret here or anything). 

Second specific question - What are the best sites to see without a CAC? I'd especially love to see whatever I can on Ford Island, having had a relative that served there during the attack, but I understand that can be pretty limited. Looking at threads here, I know some people have mentioned old artillery and lookout sites on Oahu, as well as hotels and bars that were frequented by service members during the war. Anything in particular to make a point of visiting? 

Thanks so much for the help! 

Patrick

There is a Guided tour of Hickam that is really good, but I don't know if its running right now due to Covid.   You should also climb up Diamond Head to see the old gun emplacements up there.  The problem with Ford Island and Hickam is that unless you have a Military ID, you have to do a guided tour. 

I have been out to Ewa where the USMC airfield was during the attack, but since its now in protected status I don't know if you can hike in there without it being considered trespassing. You also need really good shoes because the thorns can go right through the soles of your shoes.

Kurt

Salvage Sailor

Aloha,

As Gil said, the lookouts and emplacements at Diamond Head (Fort Ruger), Koko Head & Waikiki (Fort Derussy) are accessible to the public.  Fort Derussy which was an active Coast Artillery battery also houses the US Army Museum.

I would also recommend a visit to the National Cemetery at Punchbowl.  Walk up to the top for excellent views of the entire Oahu coastline from Diamond Head to the Westside.  In the memorial area are mosaics depicting the US campaigns in WWII, Korea & Vietnam, a nice chapel and of course the monuments.

Without military access you'll have great difficulty getting onto Hickam, Pearl, K-Bay and most of the facilities including Ford Island.  But what is mostly unknown is that you can get access to the Tropic Lightning Museum at Schofield Barracks as a Visitor with US ID and vehicle paperwork via LYMAN Gate Only.  Tell the MP's you're going to the Museum and they will give you a day pass.  Then you're on Schofield (but not Wheeler).

The other public tour sites are open, with restrictions, including the USS ARIZONA, USS BOWFIN, USS MISSOURI sites.

There ya go

To answer your original question, the Pearl Harbor National Memorial (USS Arizona) is an admission free site run by the National Park Service.  If you have a car, you can drive yourself out there and tour the exhibits on your own.  Unless things have changed, they have a launch that will take you out to the USS Arizona memorial and overlook. 

From there, you can see most of the facilities of Pearl Harbor.

When you are back ashore, you are within walking distance of the submarine USS Bowfin and the submarine museum.

I did not visit the USS Missouri (it was still semi-active when I was there), but it looks like from their webpage you can drive to it as well.  It has a rather pricey admission fee.  They have a package deal where you can combine admission with air museum that is on Ford Island, as well as the submarine museum.  All of these are somewhat expensive, so a combined ticket might offer some savings.

There are some great suggestions coming in. Here's my two cents:

-USS Arizona: A must-see in my opinion. You can take the free US Park Service boat out to the memorial, but may have to get a reservation. 

-Pacific Aviation Museum: On Ford Island. You'll have to pay, but you can ride the bus to it. Well worth the admission price, I think. 

-Fort DeRussy/Hale Koa: There is a nice little museum and you can stroll the grounds of the historic Hale Koa military hotel. During the Vietnam War a lot of Soldiers spent their R & R there, often meeting up with their fiancees coming from the mainland and getting married in the little chapel at Fort DeRussy.

-Diamond Head: It's a state park, but great views and much military history. Hiking might be a little strenuous, however. Wear good shoes. Drink water. 

There is so much more to do and see on Oahu, even without base access. 

patrick_usmc

Many thanks to you all for all of these great suggestions! I really appreciate it, and I'm looking forward to the possibility of visiting these sites. 

Does anybody know of a good Ford Island tour, or if such a tour exists? We plan to visit the publicly accessible sites there - especially looking forward to the USS Arizona Memorial. Thanks!

Patrick

Salvage Sailor

Hopefully you'll get access to Ford Island and if you do, don't miss the USS UTAH Memorial, also seldom visited as it's not a public site.  She lies on the Ewa side of Ford Island opposite Battleship Row and the MISSOURI.

1744431286_USSUTAHFordIsland.jpg.6c2a3ff82ed74bc57c17894992007439.jpg