*** Identification of Normandy field find ***

General Apathy

General Apathy

here's three photos of the piece that my neighbour found two weeks ago in the gateway across from his house, he has also recovered a few Jeep related pieces from the same field.  . . . .  Possibly Signal Corp related, it has two knurled knobs on the top with rubber grommets inside through which wires / cables pass.  A couple of friends mentioned that it might be the lid for a Potentiometer but other than that no other suggestions as to nationality or possible usage . . . . . . . . 

Difficult to make out what nationality it's either American or British due to the markings on it,  but certainly not French or German.

.fullsizeoutput_c30d.jpeg.495eaf8d3cad93495675131eff56ce08.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c30f.jpeg.fdaec1cd0e94436fe2411bdb939dd399.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c310.jpeg.6ec478fb81c2e68f8276a9c6d5fca2e2.jpeg

Thanks for looking and regards lewis.

I'd say it's British. Don't know what it is but a 'loading coil" in the US Army signal corps is a device for telephone lines.

General Apathy
7 hours ago, robinb said:

I'd say it's British. Don't know what it is but a 'loading coil" in the US Army signal corps is a device for telephone lines.

5 minutes ago, earlymb said:

I would say british too, the 'No.2'-type mark seems typical British to me?

Hi Robin and David,  thanks for joining in, yes I was leaning towards British due to the nomenclature details, but thought it was used with telephone lines which leans towards Signal Corp use . . . . . . . . . This area is an American sector and perhaps forty / fifty miles away from the British sectors.

I was hoping that someone into Signal Corp collecting would have details of it in a manual on telephone lines. 

thanks & regards lewis.