Navy Cross w/Peculiar Suspension

jmpmstr

Hey gang, this guy came in a purchase from a well respected member whom I trust implicitly. That said, while I like the cross, the suspension ribbon looks wonky and just oddball. The ribbon and brooch are not anything I’ve seen before so curious your thoughts on what it may be…

121731CD-0AD6-4832-8044-276DB109172F.jpeg

DD45D4AC-8DD9-481C-A9C4-C9CCA7CCFA51.jpeg

New production? If so it speaks to the sad state of US decorations. They just don't make them like they did years ago.

G2

Well, the ribbon and the pin piece itself are probably made in China or somewhere and the specs are probably going downhill like everything else. Look at ribbons and pins thta aren't military, and you'll see lousy quality like this, too! 

Thanks for the feedback. I do know previous owner had this a number of years and came to him like this. It’s not a show stopper because I’m confident the badge is good, just thought worth the conversation about how an obvious fake or repro or carnival ribbon winds up on a legit medal…when suspensions can be had for cheap

Maybe the original was ruined! Out of curiosity . . . what era is the planchet from? Or is this just a modern medal that was made by a cheap manufacturer?