WW2 NAVY WING H&R DIE ?????????

navyman

Hi,

I believe this is a navy wing die but not sure what time period. I was given this as a x-mas gift many years ago and I forgot I had this thing until the other day. The wings measure 1 1/2 inches. There is H & R engraved into the top of the die, along with 80 and AIR. Could the H&R be the manufacture? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

post-2501-1234052565.jpg

Thoughts yes, facts no. I've never heard of H&R as a maker of Navy wings. H&H is a well known Navy wing manufacturer but H&R is a new one on me. It's hard to tell from the picture but the wing looks to be raised not carved into the disk. If it were a die it would have to be carved in so that when the die struck down on the metal it would fill into the shape of the wing. If it is raised then it would make an indented wing which doesn't make sense. It looks like a WW2 era wing or possibly a 30s transition wing but I can't really tell if the shoulders have berries or are feathers. Berries were usually used for the wings during the war. Earlier wings usually had feathers in the shoulders. I would think that this would more likely have been used to make some sort of challenge coin or sweetheart item. In my opinion it is not a die for a wing.

You are correct it is not a die, but could be a hub. A hub is harden steel that is used to make a die. A hub is positive as shown in this picture. Most manufacturers would go to an outside tool and die maker to have a hub made. H&R could be a tool shop.

Hello,

I checked my copy of American Jewelry Manufacturers (Dorothy Rainwater) and found the only "H & R" jewelry manufacturer listed is Heileman & Roth, Cincinnati, Ohio. They were listed in jewelers trade journals as early as 1922; they were listed in Jewelers Circular/Keystone in 1943. They made platinum mountings and 14k gold emblem goods. I know that many emblem jewelry makers did make military insignia throughout the years -- no idea about Heileman and Roth, though.

Pete

Hello,

I checked my copy of American Jewelry Manufacturers (Dorothy Rainwater) and found the only "H & R" jewelry manufacturer listed is Heileman & Roth, Cincinnati, Ohio. They were listed in jewelers trade journals as early as 1922; they were listed in Jewelers Circular/Keystone in 1943. They made platinum mountings and 14k gold emblem goods. I know that many emblem jewelry makers did make military insignia throughout the years -- no idea about Heileman and Roth, though.

Pete

Thanks Pete I appreciate the information.

Jason