Interesting find in my yard.

Tdanks

We just moved from Wake Forest NC to Youngsville NC. While we were moving my wife was digging up and old garden bed and found this minie ball. I think it is from a Enfield 1853 rifle, but not certain. I believe the Confederates had a hospital in Wake Forest during the war.d7ab1c73c89f205c6af0325e70cd058a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I used to find lots of arrow head chips at my last house. Was always fun to dig in my yard, but would slow my projects progress down while sifting thru the dirt!😜

Time to bust out the metal detector...

Great find!
We actually did that. Didn't find anything else except some old spoons. Find a lot of burned bricks about 2-3 inches down. I an wondering if there was a house that burned down there at some point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Depending upon how long ago it was, structures were intentionally burnt down (razed) as a method for removing them / rebuilding on the site.

I have metal detected a couple of times, where an 1800s church used to stand.  Local history documented it as intentionally burned down when the new church was built.  Many times, when this was done, the debris was just shoved back into the hole and covered with dirt.  While digging some cast iron wall brackets for oil lamps, I've found a lot of shards of colored glass from stained glass windows.  Makes me a little sad honestly, as I am sure those windows were gorgeous.

I will all but guarantee that there is more to be found on your new property.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, dmar836 said:

I'm free for a dig at Tdank's place. What's a good weekend for everybody?

Dave

LOL.  I'll put fresh batteries in my carrot...

20 minutes ago, sundance said:

PS: Carrots have batteries in the Midwest?

LOL - sorry Sundance, a “carrot” is slang from the metal detecting crowd for an electronic pinpointer.  

• 5 weeks later...

What does the bottom look like, is it dished inward ?  I'm far from an expert ( I do CW reenacting ) but the Minies that I have seen have 2 or 3 bands near the bottom.  But it mat be another type of C W  projectile.  

Some Enfield and other bullets did not have grooves. There were literally hundreds of different bullet designs used during the Civil War. And m1903 is correct in asking about the bottom. That can go a long way to ID it.

Mikie