Questions about a Blue Sky import M1 Garand

ken88

Hi,

I was wondering what I should look out for on a Blue Sky import Garand with a serial number in the 2 million range, as far as checking for signs of a rebuild goes. 

Does an operating rod stamped NM always mean the gun was rebuilt at some point or did National Match provide rods to Springfield during the war? Any tell tale signs of a WW2 produced barrel? The operating rod is locked due to a deactivation, from what I can find the markings on the barrel were pressed right under there. 

I'd like to make sure the rifle has as many WW2 era parts as possible. Apparently most Garands were repurposed at some point, from what I've learned Blue Sky in Arlington VA did not personally rebuild these rifles, right? If so, then who did? This rifle does not have any markings punched in the wood, apart from the same serial number that's on the receiver near the stock's butt plate. 

Thank you

Best regards

Ken

Chance are excellent that it was rebuilt at one point or two in its life.  Blue Sky imports especially.  I had one years ago, and it was a mixmaster in pretty poor shape.  Blue Sky did not do any rebuilding, just aggressively stamp the barrels, (usually), and resell them.  That being said, have you broken down the rifle to its base components?  (As far as you can since its been welded)  The receiver has a WW2 born on date - however, NM op rods are post war, so see my comment above. You'll need to look at the numbers stamped on the barrel to find out the date, but chances it is original are slim to none.  More than likely post Korea era. If you clean the wood up, you may find some telling cartouches, but they may have been sanded/worn away over time and handling

Regardless of originality, you have a rifle that is rich in history and has definitely been there and done that.   

Check out this thread for more info on Blue Sky

I would be curious in other opinions, but I feel that the import mark is more impactful to value than a mix of parts.  

Said differently, if I had an import-marked Garand, I wouldn’t put forth the money nor effort to add correct parts.  It sort of is what it is now.

EmperorWangDong
9 hours ago, opus5150 said:

Chance are excellent that it was rebuilt at one point or two in its life.  Blue Sky imports especially.  I had one years ago, and it was a mixmaster in pretty poor shape.  Blue Sky did not do any rebuilding, just aggressively stamp the barrels, (usually), and resell them.  That being said, have you broken down the rifle to its base components?  (As far as you can since its been welded)  The receiver has a WW2 born on date - however, NM op rods are post war, so see my comment above. You'll need to look at the numbers stamped on the barrel to find out the date, but chances it is original are slim to none.  More than likely post Korea era. If you clean the wood up, you may find some telling cartouches, but they may have been sanded/worn away over time and handling

Regardless of originality, you have a rifle that is rich in history and has definitely been there and done that.   

Check out this thread for more info on Blue Sky

The aggressively stamped carbine barrels too, some so bad that they made the barrel out of round.

Unfortunately there's no way I will be able to have a look under the operating rod, as everything has been deactivated according to law.  The trigger housing is locked as well, which if I understand correctly, is key to opening up the rifle. I was hoping there'd be a way of telling by looking at visible characteristics, but from your comments this does not seem as straightforward. I believe the operating rod and rear sight were updated at one point in any case, would be nice to know if the barrel has been replaced or not. 

Best regards