USMC Wife o'Mine Leather Wall Hanger

Brig

Those who know me here probably know that I dabble in USMC homefront items. Normally, I don't pay more than ten bucks for a single piece. It's a rare occasion that I do. This piece, however, caught my attention, so I bid a bit more...

On leather, a wonderful EGA display overtop a poem to a wife. The very bottom says San Diego, CA...but that is actually stamped or burned into the leather, the rest is not. Notice also the colors behind the poem, the light brushing. The EGA is wonderfully detailed. I'm placing the era of this piece at about WWII, judging by the artwork. Anyone have any opinions as to the era?

Wifey_Front.JPG

Wifey_Emblem.JPG

That style looks very much like the leather cover of this late 1930's USS Arizona photo album. Also, the EGA has longitude & latitude lines on it which also seem to date the design to pre-WWII.

arizonacover.jpg

I noticed that, but I also noticed a lot of WWII Sweetheart pieces still use both latitude and longitude since they didn't have any regs to conform to. A lot of the 'droop wing' sweetheart pieces have been theorized to have been produced right up into the 40s

teufelhunde.ret
Also, the EGA has longitude & latitude lines on it which also seem to date the design to pre-WWII.

Agree, post Gooney era ;)

• 1 month later...

here's a similar one to a Sweetheart...notice that the top wooden pole is on the front rather than rear this time

SH_Banner.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

here's another varient of the sweetheart banner, this one with a drooped wing gooney bird. Very nice

SH_Banner_2.1.JPG

SH_Banner_2.2.JPG