shirt and pants of 1st Lt. Rosario Chavez 307th Inf 77th Inf Div KIA 22April45

P-59A

In a uniform lot I bought I  thought it was one guy's uniforms, but Matt figured out it was a mixed lot of two guys. Matt did allot of digging to figure this out and emailed me his findings. I have run this new information by some other people and did some digging of my own. Everything indicates Matt's findings are correct. So this is what Matt saw.

20210730_224259.jpg

20210730_224304.jpg

20210730_224312.jpg

20210730_223202.jpg

20210730_203752.jpg

20210730_222818.jpg

And this is what Matt figured out based on what he saw....Matt found more info than what I am showing, but anyone who seen Matt dig for things knows he digs deep.

c2a.jpg

c2b.jpg

c4.jpg

c6.jpg

c5.jpg

That is pretty cool. A 77th div uniform is a good find, I happened to find a 307th uniform last week. It looks like he was in E company if you didn’t already know

This is what was going on at that time......"On 16 April 1945, the 77th landed on le Shims, captured the airfield, and engaged in a bitter fight for "Government House Hill" and "ruddy Ridge." It was in this operation that Ernie Pyle was killed. On 25 April, it left le Shims for Okinawa, relieving the 96th Division, 28 April 1945." and...Desmond Doss was a Private First Class, United States Army, Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division.

Place and date: Near Urasoe Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, April 29, 1945 – May 21, 1945.

It seems more than likley Ist Lt. Chavez was KIA in that place around that time.

Thanks Ray for the info on 1st Lt Chavez being with Co. E of the 307th and for the link were you found that info. I looked at your link and this is the likely place 1st Lt. Chavez was killed based on the date he died.

OursToHoldItHigh_0265.jpg

OursToHoldItHigh_0266.jpg

OursToHoldItHigh_0264.jpg

Very neat items thank you for sharing P-59A. So Ray you said you also saw a 307th uniform as well? Could you maybe upload some pictures of it? 

On the shirt with the ghost 77th patch is a clear ghost of a Lt. bar. This shirt is clean and pressed.  On the Rangoon shirt I can find no indication of a patch or collar insignia ever having  been on it. That shirts is dirty and well worn as indicated by the thread bare collar and those officer pants are also well worn and dirty.  My only thought is he wore the officer greens as an indication of rank, but wore no insignia so to be less of a target. If someone has another idea please speak up.

20210804_104020.jpg

This link indicates 1st Lt. Chavez had two Purple Hearts. The first was likley earned in Guam. What is missing is he would of had a CIB.

c4.jpg

7 hours ago, CWG said:

Very neat items thank you for sharing P-59A. So Ray you said you also saw a 307th uniform as well? Could you maybe upload some pictures of it? 

I can post it, but only way I will post it here with P-59A’s permission. I do not want to side track his great post. My own research is also too light at the moment to warrant it’s own post, he has a weird name which is causing difficulties.

44 minutes ago, Ray42 said:

I can post it, but only way I will post it here with P-59A’s permission. I do not want to side track his great post. My own research is also too light at the moment to warrant it’s own post, he has a weird name which is causing difficulties.

Ray, feel free to add on. I would like to see it too!

Well thank you for the offers to help. To be honest between the BAR exam, changing careers, and moving I have not had as much free time to research as I would like but this one is a bit of a head scratcher. It is named to Vincent DeGregorio, however there isn’t anyone by that name listed on the WW2 enlistment site and I have not found an obituary to someone with that name yet… however the 77th division roster does list a Vincent DeGregorio in HQ company 307th inf regiment. 

As for the uniform itself I think my movers accidentally put the box it was in in my storage unit instead of leaving it with me so the only pictures I have are from the seller. Nothing too remarkable about the uniform however as the ribbon bar and maybe a CIB had been removed. I think the hash marks indicate that he served the entire war with the 77th. The way he wrote his name is rather interesting.

38373CDA-8895-41BF-BC7A-62C915FD57E3.png

07905B45-C1F2-4078-8B25-C0A386BDA4A2.png

0FCAC78A-B35A-468D-AB7C-CDD582D78B43.png

6 hours ago, CWG said:

Very cool piece Ray. Hopefully when the archives open back up you can request his file and learn about his service.

Thanks, it’s not much eye candy but I like that it has a solid ID. I’m a little concerned by the fact he is absent from the ww2enlistment site and that that might signify all his records were destroyed to the point that there was no trace of him, but I hope that’s not the case and I find something interesting. 

I wouldnt be too concerned about him not being on that site. I have had information that was not totally correct that sent me down the wrong road in the past.

• 3 weeks later...
postmanusnac
On 8/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, Ray42 said:

Well thank you for the offers to help. To be honest between the BAR exam, changing careers, and moving I have not had as much free time to research as I would like but this one is a bit of a head scratcher. It is named to Vincent DeGregorio, however there isn’t anyone by that name listed on the WW2 enlistment site and I have not found an obituary to someone with that name yet… however the 77th division roster does list a Vincent DeGregorio in HQ company 307th inf regiment. 

As for the uniform itself I think my movers accidentally put the box it was in in my storage unit instead of leaving it with me so the only pictures I have are from the seller. Nothing too remarkable about the uniform however as the ribbon bar and maybe a CIB had been removed. I think the hash marks indicate that he served the entire war with the 77th. The way he wrote his name is rather interesting.

I remember seeing this one!  I did some cursory research and didn’t see much my self.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:53 AM, postmanusnac said:

I remember seeing this one!  I did some cursory research and didn’t see much my self.

Yeah it’s a tough one, I still honestly havnt found anything other than his name on the 77th roster. I’m glad I was able to find that at least because otherwise I probably would have passed on it

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, Ray42 said:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/229825503/vincent-john-de_gregorio

Is this the guy here? More importantly, how did the BAR go?