VB Rifle Grenade Launcher

GLCC74

From everything I have read, during WW1, live ammunition was used to launch the VB's. Unlike the previous rod grenades which used specialized blanks, The VB's were a shoot through type, this way no specialized ammunition was needed. I can see where the wooden types would be useful for training purposes. I have read that VB's were used into WW2, mainly in the pacific theater. I thank all for posting on this thread. I am by means an expert, just a collector. If anyone has documentation that shows more detail on the wood bullets, please add as needed.

The wooden bullets are indeed for training use. Ball rounds were used in combat per the manuals.

I thought this post was about VB grenades, but not specifically WW1 period?

You are correct Robinb, I did not start the post limiting it to WW1, but mainly to allow for others to learn and share about this often overlooked item our forces utilized. On another note, the wood tipped round you posted, I have a similar one, but it is not marked VB. Do you have any of the training devices? I have a resin copy I made from an original, as well as a resin copy of the message grenade. I have yet to see an original signal flare version. Perhaps one day one will be posted....

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

Bonjour GLCC74.

You are correct Robinb, I did not start the post limiting it to WW1

Being a collector of the USWWI, I stopped at this time. But there is no indication that the post covers a wider period. But isn't the important thing to advance our knowledge in this area? 😎

Étant collectionneur de l'USWWI, Je me suis arrêté à cette période. Mais rien n'indique que le post couvre une période plus large. Mais l'important n'est-t-il pas de faire progresser notre connaissance en la matière? 

You are quite correct Solcarlus, passing on knowledge and experience to others and future collectors is important. Feel free to add anything, the post is not centered in WW1, but the VB devices themselves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some VB signal cartridges to add to the discussion.  The one on the far right with the steel base is French and all the others are U.S. made. 

The American types have a wooden obturator ring at the base.  There were MANY variations used and all of the signal flare types had various rings and raised bumps in the top cap to help distinguish different colors and types in the dark.  The wood and sheet metal construction, coupled with corrosive pyrotechnic fillers, meant few survived and are quite scarce today.

P1090199.JPG

P1090198.JPG

P1090200.JPG

Outstanding! I have read a lot about these types and seen several images and drawings showing the interior parts. Nice close up images of these are amazing, thanks for posting. 

Excellent discussion and lots of solid information here, I would only suggest this be cross-posted or moved to the Reference section-Rifle grenades and launchers when the discussion is completed. Thanks.

It occurred to me that I had also saved a bunch of photos of other VB signal rounds in various Govt. museums.  I think most of these were originally mounted on a display board in the Picatinny Arsenal Museum.  When it closed, most of that collection went to Aberdeen, and when it closed, to Ft. Lee and much to the EOD collection at Indian Head.  Hopefully, they all still survive but at least we have good images for study.

ICE-JV-316-1.JPG.26b008b76ce5c8e0ed732ab8db6289fc.JPG

ICE-JV-316-3.JPG

ICE-JV-316-8.jpg

ICE-JV-316-13.JPG

ICE-JV-316-17.jpg

ICE-JV-320-2.JPG

ICE-JV-320-7.jpg

ICE-sd-95-2.JPG

ICE-sd-95-3.JPG

ICE-sd-95-4.JPG

ICE-sd-95-5.JPG

ICE-sd-95-6.JPG

ICE-sd-95-7.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice manual solcarlus, I agree, it was probably not used by the AEF, however some US troops did serve with the French such as the 93rd Division. They were issued French rifles and equipment. I have seen photos of them with French helmets, rifles and VB launchers. I have not seen the aiming device, I will have to take a closer look now. I have a similar device that the Germans used in WW1.