US Navy 'Dumbo" SAR patch Kwaj-Wake

Siamundo

Just curious if this patch is attributable to a specific squadron or more generic in nature. "Dumbo" was the name given by the US Navy to search and rescue flights as well as the nickname for aircraft participating in search and rescue missions. It would appear this patch was used by crews/squadrons operating out of the Kwajalein Atoll and Wake Island area. Can't quite determine the type of aircraft depicted though based on the position of the engines. I had wondered if this might from a specific VP or Patrol Squadron but I haven't been able to narrow anything down.

IMG_20210801_0001.jpg

Salvage Sailor

That's a SAR unit which operated out of NAS KWAJALEIN, HQ of the KWAJ-WAKE SAR SECTOR, CO NAV STA KWAJALEIN, 1950's 1960's

935947035_SARKWAJ.jpg.a99d5878e5a35498b4d91d5a684d8884.jpg

It's also a "TITS" patch, Tropical Island Transport Service

159794125_SARKWAJWAKE.jpg.2977ab92f0d170c406cb6c214e8b16e6.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here's a tip if you've got the research skills and the time.  I'd search through back issues (1954-1964) of the KWAJALEIN HOURGLASS Newspaper, (named after the 7th "Hourglass" Division who liberated them).  Many of these issues have a sidebar on SAR & Naval Station events and you may find some line art or details on the SAR unit.

Good Hunting

location_sign.jpg.23ca3d9aeb1f62073c287d454d96c031.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Old Bulletin Board Postings

Richard R. Casey (AT-2), e-mail, 11.10.2011 22:57
Was stationed on Kwajalein, M.I. from 1955-1956 doing SAR duty with a squadron of UF's. Our plane (137928) as TDY'd to Eniwetok by Rear Adm. Hanlin during Operation Redwing for his secondary plane to fly from Eniwetok to Bikini and the surrounding island to witness and view A-Bomb distruction sites. Was present during the H-Bomb drop off Bikini in 1956. Left Eniwetok after suffering radiation poisoning and returned to Kwajalein. Also spent a lot of time doing SAR at Wake Island. Loved that aircraft. My next duty station was with VP-42 at North Island, San Diego. Left active duty in 1958, but never the Navy. Became an Aerospace Engineer and spent many years working on Navy projects. Retired from DCMA(DOD)in 2006 and now live in St. Petersburg, FL.

BEST, Mike  "...I enlisted and arrived Great Lakes in 02/1953...Arrived Norman OK aviation school in 5/53...Arrived Millington TN in 6/53 (saw the Blue Angel Crash within 100 yards - ouch)...Arrived Kwajalein 9/54 and flew radio/radar on PBM5As and Grumman Albatross' with five one-week Sea/Air/Rescue TADs to Wake Island plus VERY fun overnight trips to Ponape, Caroline Islands (now Pohnpei). I still correspond with the daughter of a real "South Pacific" plantation owner...Arrived NAS Whidbey Island, Washington 10/55 and joined VP-57 with 6-month TAD to NAS Kodiak, Alaska. Hardship discharge (two months early) in 12/56..." Personal WebSite: http://members.aol.com/mbest12345 [02JUL2000]