V-42 Stiletto serial number 139

Kjoenli

My grand grand father got this from a US soldier in Drammen Norway 1945, as a payment for haircut in my grand grand fathers barbershop. The knife have been on the wall in the summerhouse until 2008, i got the history every time i hold the knife when i was a little kid. I allways thought it was a bajonett, but start digging last night...wow! Is it possible to get the name of the soldier who owned it? There is a serial number, is it connected? English is my second language, so my grammar are what it is. Regards Kjetil

20210801_142848.jpg

20210801_142852.jpg

20210801_143000.jpg

20210801_142858.jpg

20210801_143013.jpg

20210801_143005.jpg

20210801_143019.jpg

20210801_143023.jpg

20210801_102329.jpg

20210801_102337.jpg

People sending me pm if i want to sell it, yes i can be interested to sell. But what is this worth? 

The WWII Case V-42 knife is a highly desirable, collectible, and valuable.  It appears some of the tip of your knife has broken off and if you don't have the original sheath to go along with it, both of those faults could effect the value somewhat.  The serial number on the knife is NOT a serviceman's serial number.  It may be the serial number of the knife, which if it is, it's a low number, which may make it more valuable.  The number could also be an Army unit number, I'm not sure.  It's no wonder you're getting PM'd from people inquiring about purchasing it from you.  I'll leave it to some of the forum knife experts to give you a potential value however, I wouldn't sell it just yet to someone until you find out how much it might be worth.

FYI, 7 and 5/16 inches would work out to 185.74mm's by formula.  Actual blade length varies due to manufacturing but you should be able to approximate the average amount of blade length loss for your knife. 

For a number of reasons the WW2 Case V42 is one of the more sought after knives.  I've not had the pleasure of owning one and will leave the value estimations to others with more experience here.

If somebody have the expertise of the value, please let me know what we talking about here. Kjetil

2 hours ago, aznation said:

The WWII Case V-42 knife is a highly desirable, collectible, and valuable.  It appears some of the tip of your knife has broken off and if you don't have the original sheath to go along with it, both of those faults could effect the value somewhat.  The serial number on the knife is NOT a serviceman's serial number.  It may be the serial number of the knife, which if it is, it's a low number, which may make it more valuable.  The number could also be an Army unit number, I'm not sure.  It's no wonder you're getting PM'd from people inquiring about purchasing it from you.  I'll leave it to some of the forum knife experts to give you a potential value however, I wouldn't sell it just yet to someone until you find out how much it might be worth.

The numbers on the V42s are typical that were done at unit level. Its not the serial number of the knife. As the story goes they were numbering these and stopped as the blades were difficult to number due to harness etc. Im not aware there is a list that survived of the numbers but I do recall they know who numbered them with in the Force. As I understand it the numbers were more of a issue. control number with in the Force.

As stated the knife has been shortened. The tips were often broken or even shortened by the veterans as they were very sharp and would pierce or cut the scabbards. I have see a couple dozen over the years that were broken or shortened.

Here is a numbered version I own. Its in the mid 300s. The vet brought back two.One was his buddies knife who was wounded. I have seen a half dozen numbered ones in hand and most were in the 300-500 number range. I dont know when they stopped numbering them or if there is a list of the existing numbers of know numbered examples.

image.png.3a66c10195f66d365b4dbc27db7e4a5e.png

Kjoenli- I'm looking at this in a different way. You have a family heirloom, given to your grandfather in trade for a hair cut. I'd be hesitant about departing with it. What is more intriguing to me was why was an American soldier in Norway in 1945? Why did he have a V-42? Originally the US First Special Service Force was issued these, and their original mission was to go to Norway. I think the story behind this is quite fascinating, brings up a lot of questions. Who was the soldier, what unit was he with, had he been in FSSF, did he pick up the knife somewhere else, was Grandfather in the Norwegian Resistance, what happened to the sheath? Do you recall any other details about Grandfather's story? There is a lot of potential behind this story.  SKIP

I was 12 when my grand grand father died, i cant remember anything about the sheath. My grand grand father didnt join the resistance but my grandfather did. In Drammen and the area Gulskogen there was alot of German troops 40-45, and US was of course there after allied won. 

56 minutes ago, SKIPH said:

Kjoenli- I'm looking at this in a different way. You have a family heirloom, given to your grandfather in trade for a hair cut. I'd be hesitant about departing with it. What is more intriguing to me was why was an American soldier in Norway in 1945? Why did he have a V-42? Originally the US First Special Service Force was issued these, and their original mission was to go to Norway. I think the story behind this is quite fascinating, brings up a lot of questions. Who was the soldier, what unit was he with, had he been in FSSF, did he pick up the knife somewhere else, was Grandfather in the Norwegian Resistance, what happened to the sheath? Do you recall any other details about Grandfather's story? There is a lot of potential behind this story.  SKIP

Skip,

After the Force was broken up, the majority of the Forcemen went to the 474th Regimental Combat Team along with surviving members of the 99th Infantry Battalion. They were then sent to Norway. Members of the Force who were parachute qualified were evaluated with those still capable of jumping being sent as replacements to the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions.

The knife showing up in Norway makes perfect sense.

Allan

Kjoenli- I would ask other family members if they have any information.  It's interesting.  SKIP

Allen- Good info! Knew that FSSF troops were reassigned to airborne units, and also that the 99th had a large contingent of Norwegians, but had not heard of the 474th RCT. THX for the information. Picture is getting clearer. SKIP

I think Kjoenli's use of Grand Grand Father is equivalent to our use of Great Grand Father, ie. my Grandfathers Father.

I agree with SKPIH - Consider selling it, but seriously consider hanging on to it, as that is an incredible story! And such a cool piece of history that connects you and your family is such a personal way! You could even get a shadowbox for it or something like that. Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Like SKPIH, I was super interested about how one of those knives got to Norway, so thanks for that info! Very interesting! 

I got many pm , from Norway and US who wants this knife. I have done some resurce about it, this knife have a special history and are in a very good original condition. I clean it last day and its like new with the coulore. So IF i gonna sell it the price will be 18000 dollar, and i hope nobody want to by it. I dont need money in the first place, second i grove up with the knife.. But of course i understand that this is something belong to the history books.

8 hours ago, stratasfan said:

I agree with SKPIH - Consider selling it, but seriously consider hanging on to it, as that is an incredible story! And such a cool piece of history that connects you and your family is such a personal way! You could even get a shadowbox for it or something like that. Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Like SKPIH, I was super interested about how one of those knives got to Norway, so thanks for that info! Very interesting! 

Jepp, agreed! EWven if somebody offer me what i want its not sure i sell it.

Buckshot329

Fantastisk! That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while and I agree with the sentiment something like this is invaluable. It's a piece of family history and with a rather unique background to top it off. Of course at the end of the day it's your own call but anything with a family connection I would always hold on to. Thanks for sharing, interesting to learn how a US soldier with this knife could end up in Norway! 

And: This is the only knife spotted ever to Norway, and after cleaning it the knife is like new.!

I got many people offer me 1000 dollar-2000 dollar... 

??? This knife is worth minimum 18000 dollars, 

First mistake, is cleaning! Depending how you did it. most collectors prefer untouched, uncleaned items. From the pic you showed at the beginning, it did not need any cleaning. My suggestion to you if you really want to selling is list it on one of the auction sites with a reserve you think you would like to have and if it meets it, then you have the value you want. My vote is keep it.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:03 PM, SKIPH said:

The 474th Infantry Regiment (a unit made up with the disbanded 1st SSF) went to Norway in 1945.