III Marine Amphibious Corps patch?

Siamundo

The shape of course is different and it is obviously big enough to be a jacket or back patch, but to me it sure looks like the III Marine Amphibious Corps dragon. Is embroidered on a red wool base. Has anyone seen another of these attributed to or being worn by a US Marine?

DSC05224.JPG

DSC05225.JPG

No, I have not, however, Marines will frequently wear unauthorized patches on jackets when not in uniform.  This unit was reorganized as the 3rd MAF in Vietnam and this may be a patch a Marine purchase while in Japan on R&R. Semper Fi - Jeff

ocsfollowme

Really neat and I like it. Looks like it could be for the back of a PT jacket. Maybe for a karate robe.  I agree that it looks very similar for 3rd Amphibious. 

Thank you gentlemen. It reminds me of another large patch I was never able to ID as it is very similar in material, embroidery, and backing as this one. I posted it several years ago in the Can You ID section but never found out much. It's shape reminds me a little of a football or maybe a rugby ball so possibly athletic related.

IMG_20210804_0003.jpg

IMG_20210804_0002.jpg

Dial twisters could be MARS operators. Kind of similar to HAM radio in the civilian world.

Military Auxiliary  Radio Station