Vietnam era 101st Airborne patch "theater" ?

TNFISTER

Hello all. I have seen this type before and I may be mistaken but isn't it the type made outside of the 101st "base camp" back in the 60s? Second question does it look original? It's near mint but I don't know if that specific sew shop churned this out. 

Any and all comments and thoughts appreciated!

Screenshot_20210730-132015~2.png

Screenshot_20210730-132025~2.png

Mark Bando the expert of 101st Abn Div SSIs speaks of this particular patch which he calls the Type TMN2 that were produced in South Vietnam.  This is what he says, "The patch at right is Type TMN2, which I've heard Fred Ranck of the 327th refer to as the 'Phan Rang Eagle'. It is possible that this design was first made in Tailor shops at that coastal location, but likely that patches of this design continued to be made at Phu Bai, when the division moved north into I Corps. Both of these patches are of one-piece construction, with the design embroidered onto a single piece of cutout twill. The Type TMN2 is embroidered on green twill, such as fatigue shirts and trousers were cut from.  I've encountered several size variations of Type TMN2, but little variance in the Type TMN1. Both styles were sometimes used in 'pocket hangers', encased in climate-protective plastic, with a leather tab above. The tab has a vertical slit in it, enabling the patch to be attached to the button of the left chest pocket of the khaki shirt, for Base Camp, or in-town wear. These two types are undoubtedly the most common theatre Made eagle patches of the Nam era. Aside from the 2 Types shown above, there is a potentially infinite variety of other in-country designs."

vintageproductions

This is one of the earlier Vietnamese made 101st airborne division patches.

Later they became a bit more crude.

Brian Keith

Excellent Information! This is not what comes to my mind as a "Vietnamese Made" patch. Love the sharing of information on this forum!

BKW