Help with an apparent DSC replica

HDC

Hello, everyone

I inherited a box of family photos and found the pictured in the bottom of the box. My initial research had me believing it is a WWII-era DSC. I now doubt that assessment. It is not numbered, the "For Valor" is on the back and the ribbon bears "E Pluribus Unum". Can anyone identify what I have here?

Many thanks.

IMG_3270.JPG

IMG_3272.JPG

easterneagle87

OOH my! Better keep checking the bottoms of other boxes. 😃

Any pictures or documents to go along with it?  Really a super find. 

12 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

OOH my! Better keep checking the bottoms of other boxes. 😃

Any pictures or documents to go along with it?  Really a super find. 

Nothing that I can tie to it. Right now, I question its authenticity.

12 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a French made one.

Looks nice.

Replica or authentic?

I see nothing wrong with your French made DSC.  It is a great find and beautiful piece.  It is original / authentic and tougher to find then the US made version.  Congratulations on your find, it would be great if you could link it to an ancestor!  Time to start looking into family history of military service in WW1 if you have not already. 

Brian Dentino

As Luft stated above it is real, from WWI, and French made.  A very nice and desirable DSC medal.  Great find!

2 hours ago, LuftStalg1 said:

I see nothing wrong with your French made DSC.  It is a great find and beautiful piece.  It is original / authentic and tougher to find then the US made version.  Congratulations on your find, it would be great if you could link it to an ancestor!  Time to start looking into family history of military service in WW1 if you have not already. 

Thank you. I've done extensive research, but I was focused on the wrong war. Back to square one.

While these French-made DSC medals are nice and desirable, I would disagree that they are harder to find than WWI Vintage US made DSC's. The price difference on them is also significant. It has been documented that these medals were available for purchase in France by anyone who wanted to purchase them. This is one of the reasons that they do show up in the effects of soldiers who never earned the medal.

My two cents,

Allan

Allan is spot on. You often find these French ones in the early first pattern design as well, with the extra embellishments on the cross. Last time I checked these French medals were selling around the $300 mark, considerably less than a US made DSC from WWI.