Old NAS Norfolk patch info please ID: Crash Crew Fire Rescue

Phantomf4

Is this patch hard too find? Who wore it? Ground personnel? I can make out Oxygen on the right but is the left side Temperature? 

002.JPG

003.JPG

Salvage Sailor

Crash Crew patch, Naval Air Station Norfolk, VA (Fire Rescue)

The image depicts the breaking of the 'Fire Triangle', i.e. a basic firefighting technique to remove one of sides to extinguish a blaze.  Fire needs all three to survive.

There ya go....nice patch circa 1960's-1970's

Well well, now that was a good lesson! I would have never guessed the fire triangle thing! With a F9F Panther on it could that make it a bit earlier?

Salvage Sailor

Could be, and the backing says 1950's 1960's too.

Was looking at the Triangle and not the Airframe

I do appreciate you filling me in on this patch. It's kind of a story me getting my hands on it, So about 3-4 years ago this was at a local antique shop but they wanted $75 for it, so after months of looking at it but not willing to pull the trigger at that price it disappeared, I figured it sold, but yesterday i was in there and spotted it in a different case with no price tag, i asked about it and he said " that things been in there for 3-4 years". Since it was a different case i suppose it was moved and buried under stuff. I asked him how much it was and he said make him a offer so i said $20 bucks, me being the joker i am. He said you can have it for nothing!! I was shocked! so thats how i got it and i was nothing but thank you's out the door. LOL

Salvage Sailor

Excellent Score, BZ

"Every Marine is a Rifleman"

548581121_KBayRiflePistolClub002.jpg.3f6feebae9d50c7cfdd2c6173fc9621a.jpg

"Every Sailor is a Fireman"

1648512604_SalvageTrainingHCU-2LittleCreekVA008.jpg.c1084b688f05daa4417b5da7bbcb0216.jpg

Yes, i was reading a article on the USS Bon Homme Richard fire, There where Navy guys commenting about percentage of crew on ship and the fire hazards etc. One thing about it if you have a fire on ship at sea, if your not a firefighter you'll learn real quick or else your all doomed. Definition of Team effort i'd say.

collectsmedals
16 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

"Every Sailor is a Fireman"

I was onboard the USS Nimitz in  May 1981 when we had a really bad airplane crash and fire on our flight deck. Even though my normal duty station was in the reactor spaces, about as far from the flight deck as you can get, I was also in repair 5 and was sent to the flight deck to help with getting the injured down to medical. I didn't "fight the fire"  but I was up there when a sparrow missile cooked off killing two sailors who were fighting the fire. All together we lost 14 crewmen with another 39 injured. I remember the elevator door in number 2 hanger bay had a big sign painted on it that said, "If something happens our here you can't walk home".