WW1 MK. III Grenade Inert

GLCC74

Here is another one of my WW1 Grenades, the US Offensive Mk III. This particular grenade was developed after the US entered the war, so production took some time to get going. Over 170,000 made it overseas before the war ended. Nearly 5 million were made, but with the end of the war, they were deemed obsolete and put into storage. However, with the 2nd World War on the war, these were taken out of storage and fitted with the M6 fuse. WW1 era grenades typically have no paint on the body, and the caps on top can be grey or have grey paint to indicate a live grenade. In WW2 these grenades were painted yellow with markings in black. The WW1 versions are getting tough to find. 

IMG_4418.thumb.jpg.2986c178aed642a122fe0627d9bba6d1.jpg

IMG_4420.thumb.JPG.b690775cd6098f9201ca0ed2a19d6f09.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Great to see this example of a Mk. III offensive grenade.  WW1 or WW2 they are very difficult to find.  I have yet to locate an original for my collection.  Thank you for sharing with the Forum Community.

Last time I saw some for sale was at an online auction. As I recall they got a little expensive, way more than what I paid for mine. The cardboard bodies were typically coated with paraffin on the inside and another similar compound on the exterior to help preserve them.