Wings to clean or not to clean?

John Cooper

Here is a picture of Mary Todd Lincoln's silver service, about 1859. It's in the National Museum of American History in Washington.

The Smithsonian decided this artifact would not be destroyed by polishing it. The history is in the item itself, not in the tarnish.

Why should it be different for military insignia?

post-311-1220465615.jpg

Here is a picture of Mary Todd Lincoln's silver service, about 1859. It's in the National Museum of American History in Washington.

The Smithsonian decided this artifact would not be destroyed by polishing it. The history is in the item itself, not in the tarnish.

Why should it be different for military insignia?

The issue in museums, with silver service and the like, is that in the past it was possible to polish silver (and other metals) using only abrasive materials, such as pastes and certain thick particulate liquids.

Then came along the "dip" method, whereby only the chemicals which tarnish the surface could be removed without taking away the slightest amount of the silver body.

Voila! Problem solved.

So, the other difference would be that the "original finish" of silver service is INTENDED to be shiney... wheras the original finish of militaria needs to conform with the way it was manufactured or intended; if originally shiney, then shiney. If not, then not.

I've never seen a pair of regulation USAF wings or any other metal (e.g. buttons, buckles, badges etc.), as one example, which did not have a subdued or matte patina unless specified in the regulations - one example of which would be Lieutenants, Bird Colonels and General officers metal rank insignia, which is shiney silver (probably chromed), or gold (probably brass) in the case of 2nd Lt.

IMPERIAL QUEST

We are not talking about a silver service which was intended to shine, as that is how it was originally sold, the items being discussed are wings. The only military wings that should shine like a cheap mirror are the horrific modern staybrite wings. WWI, II, Korea, and Vietnam military wings were not issued looking like reflective mirrors, and they should not be polished as such. Polishing silver actually removes micron-thin layers of the surface metal being polished, especially when dipped in a solution like tarn-x or similiar product.

Edit: Bluehawk, you and I are on the same wavelength. I began typing before your posting, took a break, came back and when I hit reply, I saw your similar comments.

Those are valid points about the difference between a silver service and insignia.

If you say you should never use silver polish on wings, then you are saying it is better to leave the silver discolored with tarnish instead of restoring them to their original appearance.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a very light cleaning with nonabrasive silver cream. I am not talking about polishing to a mirror finish. The trick is to not overdo it. A little patina in the crevices give the wings an appealing relief. You get a badge that looks as it was intended to look.

Those are valid points about the difference between a silver service and insignia.

If you say you should never use silver polish on wings, then you are saying it is better to leave the silver discolored with tarnish instead of restoring them to their original appearance.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a very light cleaning with nonabrasive silver cream. I am not talking about polishing to a mirror finish. The trick is to not overdo it. A little patina in the crevices give the wings an appealing relief. You get a badge that looks as it was intended to look.

That sounds quite sensible... myself, I like toothpaste, Tom's, to be specific (non-abrasive). :D

IMHO, it should only matter what you want to do with your collection! They are your wings, you should display them as you feel is best and makes you happy.

On one side, Duncan Campbell wrote in his book that he felt strongly that wings should be polished like the way the original owners would have worn them. Looking at old photos of the WWI pilots, you can pretty much tell that the wings were nice and polished, and that the black/blue background really set them off nicely. On the other hand, a nicely toned wing with honest patina sure looks nice in my eyes as well. I am also a sucker for wings that show good honest wear and tear, to the point that I would almost get a wing with a broken catch than one mint in the box...almost....

I have wings that span the whole range from near mint original frosted wings to wings that have an almost black tarnish. 14K wings that sparkle, and wings that have dings, broken catches, missing pins, and bent tips. I especially like wings that have old residue from silver polish in the nooks and crannies, meaning that someone had taken the time to polish his wings before wearing them.

No right or wrong way, I believe.

Patrick