M-4A1 Sherman by Monogram

M1Marksman

I've had this kit since I was about 14, but didn't get around to building it until recently. I haven't done much to it since my son was born 2 years ago. At the same time I bought this (around 1975), I also bought the Sherman "Hedgehog", also by Monogram & also in 1/32nd scale. I fully intend to build both tanks eventually, but started on the "Calliope" first. After doing tons of exhaustive research, I noticed just about all of the rocket launcher tanks were M-4 or M-4A3 types with the welded hull instead of the cast hull. Both of these kits also had the earlier features; such as: direct vision slots in the driver & co-driver positions & rear air intakes without filter boxes. The "Hedgehog" had the correct earlier narrow gun mantlet, so after swithing turrets & adding some applique armor, I started in earnest on the M4A1. It's still a work in progress, but I've done alot so far. the hatches had no periscope or taillightguards or handles, so I fabricated some with brass rod, paper clips & small staples.

post-5344-1234033563.jpg

post-5344-1234033577.jpg

The turret & hull were relatively smooth, so I added some putty & heavily globbed paint to reproduce a cast iron effect. I plan on adding alot more detail; such as: decals/markings, stowage, personal items, tools, etc. A work in progress, don't forget.

post-5344-1234033888.jpg

post-5344-1234033906.jpg

1975? you must have one helluva kit-stash! w00t.gif

looks like you're doing pretty nicely with that classic old kit. thumbsup.gif

Keep us posted with more of your progress pix please.

Terry

Probably around the same time (1975-ish), I bought an M4 A1 76W made by Italeri. It's 1/35th scale along with a bunch of others I built around that time, also. I detailed the commander with an armored division patch on his left shoulder & Sergeant stripes. The turret was smooth, so I roughed it up some & re-contoured the shell ejection port & the step on the barrel which didn't belong (not visible in these pics, since work had not been done yet). My first attempt at weathering an armored vehicle & I added a tow cable I made from crocheting thread.

post-5344-1234108964.jpg

• 5 months later...

Great job and good camera work too! My camera stinks at close ups! Good detail and steady hand!

Thanks

Paul

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here's the right side.

Nice... I also note the Monogram M-29C weasel in the back ground. For all the years of looking, thats the only kit of the M-29 I've been able to find. It was a pretty prominent vehicle late in the war... I'm surprised Dragon or Tamiya haven't done one yet...

Wayne

Nice... I also note the Monogram M-29C weasel in the back ground. For all the years of looking, thats the only kit of the M-29 I've been able to find. It was a pretty prominent vehicle late in the war... I'm surprised Dragon or Tamiya haven't done one yet...

Wayne

Wayne, if there was a Weasel beutepanzer version, you can bet Dragon would be selling it! :thumbsup:

Terry

I also note the Monogram M-29C weasel in the back ground. For all the years of looking, thats the only kit of the M-29 I've been able to find.

Wayne

Yes, it is a Monogram Weasel & I have another that is unbuilt. I bought both around the same time as the "Calliope" & "Hedgehog" kits. I've since reconstructed the Weasel driver so as not to look like he had a stiff neck, looking up at the sky. Eventually I'll incorporate both weasels into a USMC Pacific Theater diorama.

Brian Dentino

Outstanding models! I love the details and all the extra hand crafted items you modelers add to these to give them a more realistic look. Just outstanding. Put it on a display with some battlefield "stuff" and you have one heck of a showpiece. Very nice. I love what you guys do with these models. I only wish that I had the talent, time, and most important......patience to do these things. All you modelers are just awersome, I only wish I had the talent to do these things that you guys do. Thanks for sharing yours with us!