Vietnam War black velvet painting found at Gettysburg!

jsalberry92

This one is a classic, with all of the unit insignia, the field gear, a CIB and color insignia, tour dates and it is even made out "To Mother".  Big eyes and tears!  One can only imagine what his Mom thought when this arrived in the mail.  Nice example; thanks for sharing.

jsalberry92

You're very welcome! It was the first I've seen. You can see they were at least somewhat mass produced, as there are "blank areas" for the name tape, shoulder insignia, location/years, and dedication. I especially like that it has the original retailer label!

snake36bravo

Correct in that the design was tailored to each purchaser. In addition to this shape there were also round ones. I've always found them interesting that they showed a crying soldier. Great to find them with original labels indeed. 

jsalberry92

Yeah, I thought that was a weird thing to send home to Mom. I mean, you don't have to pretend you're happy all the time, but this wouldn't seem to be great for HER morale, either. Just reminding her that that you're a scared kid.

easterneagle87

I saw almost the exact one in an Cour de Alene, ID this past June. I asked how much and she said it was going to be very expensive and wanted $200. Not from me, I answered.