WW1 Shinkle Grenade

GLCC74

Here is my WW1 era Shinkle Grenade. These were made before the pineapple types and had an impact type fuse, however the US moved more towards the timed fuse type, and the Shinkle was sidelined. Not easy to find anymore. I do love collecting WW1 era grenades, so many variants and models, however most of mine are European types. 

IMG_4084.thumb.jpg.e17618019adcf55754ff13f8040b29b7.jpg

IMG_4086.thumb.jpg.16da0e03f534ac387705d382d564f6a5.jpg

That's certainly a different type of animal! Do you know where these were made?  Amazing condition too! Thanks for posting.

Steve

Here is some more information from Darryl Lynn's book: The Grenade Recognition Manual, Volume 1A1, American Grenades, which is an excellent reference source. The Shinkle gets is name from its inventor, Major Edward M. Shinkle. He was working for the Ordnance Department at the Frankford Arsenal, however no clear records exist of whether he made this grenade as part of his duties, or on his own, and there are no patents that have been found from Major Shinkle. When development of this grenade was done in early 1918, the AEF changed its mind about impact fuses, which the Shinkle had, and moved towards timed fuses, and the Shinkle was sidelined and resources moved elsewhere. However in late 1918, the AEF had a change of heart about the Shinkle, and production resumed, but the war ended before significant numbers were made. No idea on how many were really made, estimates run 800-1000. So they are quite rare, especially complete and can be expensive. 

GLCC74-- Thanks for the info on Shinkle.  Yes, sounds very rare and high$$$.   Thanks again.

Steve

jsalberry92

Great example! I still need one for the WWI grenade section of my collection. Currently focused on some of the obscure European types.