Grouping of WWII KIA dog tags

mmerc20

Before going any further, I have to mention these belong to our museum, so please don’t PM or ask if they are for sale. The answer should be obvious. No. 

Anyway, we have found nearly 900 dog tags over the years either lost or discarded by soldiers while training at Camp Butner, NC or after they returned from overseas either going to the convalescent hospital or for unit deactivation. 

I have personally spent hundreds of hours cleaning, cataloging, and researching each one and have returned 10 to the families. Since we clearly can’t display every tag, we are displaying the ones I discovered were killed in action in Europe. 

The 35th, 78th and 89th Infantry Divisions were here along with numerous other companies, battalions, and brigades. We now estimate there were up to 100,000 that came through for training. As I always say, if a soldier wore it, carried it, or used it, we probably have a dug example in the museum. 

Mike

On a side note, yes there are two tags not in the display. I forgot to grab them when I was putting it together. 

A5F4514C-300A-40CC-9C68-EDD4AD73E4A7.jpeg

The display is a real feeling of sonder. Each one of these men had their own experiences and are all connected by one location.