CSA - "Shiloh" and "Farmigton" Flag

Hi everyone this is my first post. I am a new collector and just acquired this flag at the Louisville SOS show. I don't know anything about it and would love to know your opinions on it's authenticity and identification. Thanks!

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

IMG_8511.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

Not wartime of course but likely a Confederate Veterans flag.  C1900+-   Certainly looks like an original from the pics, despite the mis-spelling. Black light it to see if any thread repairs and look very closely at the sleeve to see if any markings remain.  Might be possible to trace the unit. Start by cross referencing units that fought at both battles. Note it has 12 stars, the pattern used early war before Kentucky joined the Confederacy.  And my opinion it's from an Army of Northern Virginia unit.

Pic attached of a reunion flag sold by Horse Soldier recently and a wartime flag sold at auction

2021-07-27 19.30.43.jpg

2021-07-27 19.30.41.jpg

Just from the few pictures, it looks like the flag is machine sewn, and the words are hand-appliqued. 

Really cool, whatever era!

3 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Not wartime of course but likely a Confederate Veterans flag.  C1900+-   Certainly looks like an original from the pics, despite the mis-spelling. Black light it to see if any thread repairs and look very closely at the sleeve to see if any markings remain.  Might be possible to trace the unit. Start by cross referencing units that fought at both battles. Note it has 12 stars, the pattern used early war before Kentucky joined the Confederacy.  And my opinion it's from an Army of Northern Virginia unit.

Pic attached of a reunion flag sold by Horse Soldier recently and a wartime flag sold at auction

2021-07-27 19.30.43.jpg

2021-07-27 19.30.41.jpg

Wowwww thank you this is very exciting and gratifying to me!! I certainly hoped it was a veterans flag and imagined it was sewn by an admiring younger relative post war. But I also have heard that WBTS collecting is not easy and was afraid I made a bad call but now I am extremely happy! I have looked carefully at the sleeve and cant see any markings with the naked eye but I do see what appears to be ink on the reverse side of the sleeve. Thanks so much I will be researching Northern Virginia units all day!

3 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Just from the few pictures, it looks like the flag is machine sewn, and the words are hand-appliqued. 

Really cool, whatever era!

Thank you I really love it! Yes I noticed that much of the stitching looks like a machine. 

Well sewing machines have been around since about the mid 1800s, so yes probably sewn on a machine

manifestdestiny

Interesting flag. I assume Farmington is in reference to the Battle of Farmington, MS on May 9, 1862 rather than the Battle of Farmington on October 7, 1863 since the battle of Farmington was a part of the Siege of Corinth which immediately followed the battle of Shiloh. 

The Battle of Farmington, MS was substantially larger and the Confederate's there were primarily from Bragg's II Corps of the Army of Tennessee and Earl Van Dorn's Army of the West.

The Battle of Farmington, TN was substantially smaller and primarily a cavalry engagement (I believe) and under the direction of Joseph Wheeler.

For fun, here are the flags of the 2nd Texas Infantry and the 1st and 3rd Florida--both Western Units.

Corinth Flag and Sword.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

7 hours ago, manifestdestiny said:

Interesting flag. I assume Farmington is in reference to the Battle of Farmington, MS on May 9, 1862 rather than the Battle of Farmington on October 7, 1863 since the battle of Farmington was a part of the Siege of Corinth which immediately followed the battle of Shiloh. 

The Battle of Farmington, MS was substantially larger and the Confederate's there were primarily from Bragg's II Corps of the Army of Tennessee and Earl Van Dorn's Army of the West.

The Battle of Farmington, TN was substantially smaller and primarily a cavalry engagement (I believe) and under the direction of Joseph Wheeler.

For fun, here are the flags of the 2nd Texas Infantry and the 1st and 3rd Florida--both Western Units.

Corinth Flag and Sword.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

Oh my gosh thats amazing I scoured the internet all night and couldn't find any other flags that look like mine and now here it is! I am so intrigued by the info I'm getting here. Can I ask what causes you to assume it refers to the earlier Farmington? 

manifestdestiny

Its just a hunch. The battle of Farmington happened about a month after the battle of Shiloh and was part of the fighting outside of Corinth. I know that there were more than a few regiments that were decimated as a result of the Shiloh and the Siege of Corinth (namely regiments like the 24th Louisiana, and the 1st Florida--which was consolidated twice before December of 1862, etc). You also had quite a few units were 3 months regiments that were disbanded soon after and there were also some that were transferred to other theaters of war. Had this flag represented a unit that served longer than the earlier stages of the war (especially in the Army of Tennessee), then it stood a better chance of having other battle honors on it such as Chickamauga, etc.

That being said, I think this flag was created after the war and most probably for a veteran's organization. It also seems to be patterned off of the flags that were commissioned under the direction of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana 

The application of the stars is interesting as well. it almost looks like the stars and the white border are one piece and that the blue cross is placed upon it and then everything is sewn together. I am no flag expert at all, but I don't recall seeing that on period pieces before.