Indian War medal

45govt

"it should have No. or MNo"  You are correct.

This same medal was sold by the same seller on ebay June 14, for $1195. Now relisted.

No. 843 was issued to Gen Miller. This is not his issued medal.

Hello,

To build on what has been previously said.  The Indian Wars Campaign Medal Rolls shows medal number No. 843 as being issued to Miller, Samuel W., Major, Inspector Generals Department on December 28, 1908.  I think some of the confusion with these medals comes from the original work done by John M. Carroll when he first published the Indian Wars Campaign Medal Rolls in 1979.  In his book there is only a brief reference to the first issue of these medals having the “No.” prefix in the introduction.  The medal rolls themselves just list the medal number, without prefix.  I have seen more than few Indian Wars medals with “MNo.” prefixes or no prefixes incorrectly attributed because of the way the medals are listed in the Carroll book.  Additionally, I can not find information on a contract that was let for unprefixed numbered medals below medal number 2001.

While this is a nice looking medal it was most likely never issued to Miller.  I would not want it in my collection.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

According to Gleim's information, there were no contracts for unprefixed numbered Indian Wars medals. There were multiple Mint contracts let for prefixed numbers:

1908 for No. 1 - 1854

1919 for No. 1855 - 2000

1914-1919 for M.No. 1 - 900

1919-1928 for M.No. 901 - 1722

While this might be a legit replacement for a lost medal, I would not trust it without concrete provenance.

MMcollector

Here is the medal contract table from the book I am putting together. It’s compiled from the Gleim Letters. This medal appears to be a Studley that someone numbered. This is 100% not a official medal. 

12DAB0A9-3445-4669-8301-0EAD48098785.jpeg

Hi Blacksmith,

I think it actually about both.   First, the medal is not attributed correctly.  Second, based the the available contract information, no medal with unprefixed number 843 was ever produced.  It would not be the first medal that had a number added to it to enhance the valve.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Linz said:

Hi Blacksmith,

I think it actually about both.   First, the medal is not attributed correctly.  Second, based the the available contract information, no medal with unprefixed number 843 was ever produced.  It would not be the first medal that had a number added to it to enhance the valve.

Thank you for that clarification Bruce.  Very much appreciated.