40mm Bofors round.

Scottz63

Put this together a couple of days ago. Got the case first. WW2 1942 dated case and fired primer. It has a nice crossed cannons cartouche on it, I'm a sucker for that. Lol. Then I picked up a later L/70 inert HE round and finished it off with a machined aluminum "fuse". I know the round and fuse are not correct for the case, but that is all I could come up with right now.

Bofors1.jpg

Bofors2.jpg

Bofors3.jpg

9 hours ago, 917601 said:

Interesting, you have an Army 40mm case,( M25), much harder to find than the Navy ones.

Oh, didn't realize that. I just figured it was Navy. Thanks!

I will add your projectile is incorrect for the case. The L70 is from the 80’s failed AA project.Thousands projectiles were defused and surpluses out. The silver “ fuze” is an aluminum private manufactured dummy. Find a WW2 Army AP projectile for the case, ( M80 I believe) then find a modern era steel phosphate coated case for the L70 and you have a nice collection.Notice the silver C130 yellow red L60 rounds on the left, your L70 goes into a case like that.

0F4627EA-1AC3-4D20-AD05-45412294FCBC.jpeg

I will add, I was given the 40mm cases, 25mm dummy cycling rounds and 105 case from the crew of a C130 gunship that saved our bacon while I was in Colombia, San Jose Guaviare , November 2008 as a Colombian Army advisor…..they owed me a favor…..the most fulfilling job I ever had.

More: My 40mm, the black one on right is an Army AP, in the correct M25 case and an Army marked clip, what you need. The others are hard to find crimped Navy, worth collecting due to the varied types ( coloring).

E7333457-EC8F-40E8-B5F5-58E8B51D78A9.jpeg

AFDD253E-435B-4D18-8837-871D803A3C41.jpeg

Yup, I know. I could not find the correct projectile or "fuse". Do you know where I could get the correct stuff?

Thanks, for all of the info. :)

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, Scottz63 said:

Yup, I know. I could not find the correct projectile or "fuse". Do you know where I could get the correct stuff?

I didn't think I'd find an M81 or M81A1 projectile to go along with my M25 shell case.....Wasn't actively pursuing or pounding the pavement in hopes of finding one either, but low and behold, one unexpectedly showed up today at one of my antique store honey spots....Keep looking as one never knows what's out there....Bodes

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, 917601 said:

More: My 40mm, the black one on right is an Army AP, in the correct M25 case and an Army marked clip, what you need. The others are hard to find crimped Navy, worth collecting due to the varied types ( coloring).

AFDD253E-435B-4D18-8837-871D803A3C41.jpeg

917601, Are you at all familiar with these?...Would they be rare and what do they look like?....Bodes

27. Cartridge. 40 Millimeter: AP-T, M81A1

a. General. This cartridge is used for firing against armored and similar targets. The hardened steel projectile is of the monobloc type; a tracer cavity in its base contains a red tracer composition which burns for about 12 seconds. The nose of the body proper is shaped to a relatively blunt ogive. However, a long false ogive is provided to impart optimum ballistic properties, by means of a lightweight windshield (ballistic cap) secured to the projectile body. The windshield is attached to the nose crimping groove by means of a 360-degree crimp. Certain lots of these cartridges having defective tracer elements have a vapor-trail-producing dipcoating compound applied to their windshields. The dipcoating compound will produce a vapor trail that begins immediately after the projectile leaves the muzzle of the gun and continues to be visible up to a range of 1,000 yards. Visiblility of the vapor trail is limited to daytime firing. Ammunition having this dipcoating is intended for use during the early stages of training only and is not intended for use in the final stages of training or in combat except in an emergency. This cartridge is also issued with a steel case.

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/31352-us-40mm-m81-ap-shot/

On 8/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, Scottz63 said:

M81-A1

• 4 weeks later...

The US Navy ones are plentiful. The M25 marked cases are for Army use, much harder to find, they even have a different “ half moon” style crimp. Same with the charger clips. Most Army issue on the market come from Europe, shipped here for collectors long ago before .gov banned shipping any “ instruments of war”…

• 2 weeks later...

Those later 40mm components are all over this area, dunnage from the Hurlburt Field AC130 Schoolhouse.  Seems every antique shop has a casing or a casing with green painted TP round.

• 4 months later...