Found M1 Lid Online, looking for opinions please.

BlueCreek38

BlueCreek38

Good Morning! I found this lid on line for $40, local pickup in my neighborhood. It has a front seam and the band appears to be stainless steel. Also, the 'hinges' for the chin strap are fixed and do not swivel. Some original corking is visible in the photos. It's in poor condition and the paint is oxidizing however, it may be a fun restoration. Does anything think it's a good buy and would you restore it or leave it as is? Thank you!

thumbnail_IMG_6299.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6301.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6302.jpg

manayunkman

Yes $40 is a good buy.

Once you get it get some better pictures and then we can make a decision.

As it stands now I’m thinking let it stay in its present condition, it might not be that bad.

BlueCreek38
21 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Yes $40 is a good buy.

Once you get it get some better pictures and then we can make a decision.

As it stands now I’m thinking let it stay in its present condition, it might not be that bad.

Would it be a good idea to spray or bush the rust with a clear enamel to slow it down? 

manayunkman

If you’re going to keep it as is I wouldn’t do anything more than a wipe down and at the most clean it with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Some will say to just leave it alone.

Im of the opinion that if you buy a beautiful painting that’s dirty you clean it.

BlueCreek38
20 hours ago, manayunkman said:

If you’re going to keep it as is I wouldn’t do anything more than a wipe down and at the most clean it with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Some will say to just leave it alone.

Im of the opinion that if you buy a beautiful painting that’s dirty you clean it.

I went ahead and picked it up yesterday and it looks genuine (I just wish it was in better condition). Thanks for the advice as this is my first M1 lid. I've read about applying bees wax to preserve it, do you recommend that? It will be stored indoors and out of extreme humidity. 

manayunkman

If you keep it properly stored you can retard the rusting.

Don’t wax it or use polish.

Can you post some pictures of it?

BlueCreek38
4 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

If you keep it properly stored you can retard the rusting.

Don’t wax it or use polish.

Can you post some pictures of it?

I agree. Yes, I will take some better photos of it. 

IMO

I would leave it.  It is not going to be any thing more than what it is. it has history. 

It is too pitted for "restoration" IMO and if you want a re-enactor helmet, just get one. beeswax will just make it shiny

While I agree somethings can be cleaned properly- unless you are J. Murray I have seen too many "restorations" that end up looking like this:

jesus.png

BlueCreek38
2 minutes ago, Mr.Jerry said:

IMO

I would leave it.  It is not going to be any thing more than what it is. it has history. 

It is too pitted for "restoration" IMO and if you want a re-enactor helmet, just get one. beeswax will just make it shiny

While I agree somethings can be cleaned properly- unless you are J. Murray I have seen too many "restorations" that end up looking like this:

jesus.png

Understood. The last thing I want is to destroy the patina. Any idea as to why it looks brown/orange in some spots? Could that be oxidation or was the paint that color? I gently rubbed a very small area of it with a soft cloth and it turns olive drab. 

manayunkman

It’s too hard to tell what the details are of the surface from the pictures you posted but that could be rust film on the olive drab.

If you can take pictures outside in the shade.