Why are WWII chocolates so hard to find?

BigBrother

I’ve only recently begun collecting World War II dress and service uniforms but I have found, after going to several large flea markets, stores, militaria meet ups, etc. and perusing eBay and the like, that the officer chocolates are hard to encounter. Any ideas for why? My friend, a much more knowledgeable collector than me, gave me several reasons but I wanted to see what you all thought!

Thanks!

The  only thing I can offer here is that as compared to the green uniform items, the "chocolates" were not that common.  I irks me when I see collectors selling "dark green" uniform items as "Chocolate" when they are not.  "Chocolate" is brown, not green, of any shade.

Steve

I believe that the ratio of enlisted to officer in WWII was 10 to 1. For every ten enlisted soldiers, you would have one officer. That immediately makes officer uniforms 10 times rarer than enlisted....

Allan

10 hours ago, Allan H. said:

I believe that the ratio of enlisted to officer in WWII was 10 to 1. For every ten enlisted soldiers, you would have one officer. That immediately makes officer uniforms 10 times rarer than enlisted....

Allan

But I can find the other components of officers’ uniforms without a problem. I should’ve specified this in the post- I can find all the components easily. It’s just for some reason this one material that seems unicorn-like.