M17 gas mask

sharpsshooter

sharpsshooter

Just found an unopened M17 Protective Field Gas Mask size medium dated in red ink Aug 1964, in black ink A-1A-8X-FEB. 1965 Cure Date Jan. 1965 Lot No 2033-54-281 Filter Lot No 2024-54-119 with an unopened right and left M13 Filter Element dated in red ink Jan 1963, in black ink Cure Date Apr. 1963 Lot No 2021-36-143 A-1A-8X May 1963 made by the MINE SAFETY APPLIANCES COMPANY in a faded od case. with no visable date. My questions are, what was placed in the inside bottom pocket and the three outside pockets? I am soon receiving a M17 gas mask manual dated around 1967. How was the case worn with the slim strap?

Just found an unopened M17 Protective Field Gas Mask size medium dated in red ink Aug 1964, in black ink A-1A-8X-FEB. 1965 Cure Date Jan. 1965 Lot No 2033-54-281 Filter Lot No 2024-54-119 with an unopened right and left M13 Filter Element dated in red ink Jan 1963, in black ink Cure Date Apr. 1963 Lot No 2021-36-143 A-1A-8X May 1963 made by the MINE SAFETY APPLIANCES COMPANY in a faded od case. with no visable date. My questions are, what was placed in the inside bottom pocket and the three outside pockets? I am soon receiving a M17 gas mask manual dated around 1967. How was the case worn with the slim strap?

Nice find, let's see some pictures if you can. thumbsup.gif I believe the thinner strap was used both around the waist or the leg depending on the gas mask bags position.

In addition other accessories for these masks include a Decontamination kit, Winterization kit, Waterproof bag, and a Chemical hood.

The two flatter pockets were for folding the leg straps up into. The larger two snap pocket was for the decontamination kit. The large strap was the waist belt. The smaller strap would go around the thigh, feed up through the smaller ring and then snap onto the large ring .

sharpsshooter
Nice find, let's see some pictures if you can. thumbsup.gif I believe the thinner strap was used both around the waist or the leg depending on the gas mask bags position.

In addition other accessories for these masks include a Decontamination kit, Winterization kit, Waterproof bag, and a Chemical hood.

I do not have a camera to post photos of my finds or items I have collected. You can see my find on ebay, the item number is 140297218153 I probably paid too much. I saw higher priced M17's

sharpsshooter

I saw a listing for a hood on ebay but I could not tell if it is real or a fake. Thought the asking price was kind a of high.
craig_pickrall

I can't imagine that anyone would fake M17 hoods at this point. The one thing to be careful of is there is a very similar hood for the M9 mask.

El Bibliotecario

Hawkdriver gives a good summary. The mask could also be worn under the left arm with the wide strap over the right shoulder, and the thin strap around the waist. This position was a bit faster when masking, the flap being opened with the left hand and the right hand withdrawing the mask. In the field many troops preferred the waist position, and often didn't bother fastening the thin strap.

I don't know what hoods sell for, but I'd think NBC stuff is pretty close to the bottom of the military collectibles food chain, and wouldn't pay too much. Same goes for the decon kit. I'd look for stuff like that from surplus dealers rather than those who sell collectibles.

If you're nearsighted, and a bugaboo for authenticity, there are also corrective lens inserts for the eyepieces, with the corrective lenses mounted in spring wire devices that snap inside each eyepiece, and connected by a spring so they will fold up when the mask is placed in the carrier. LIke regular glasses, these were made to the individual soldier's prescription.

And now the big question--can you hold your breath long enough to change the filters?

sharpsshooter
Hawkdriver gives a good summary. The mask could also be worn under the left arm with the wide strap over the right shoulder, and the thin strap around the waist. This position was a bit faster when masking, the flap being opened with the left hand and the right hand withdrawing the mask. In the field many troops preferred the waist position, and often didn't bother fastening the thin strap.

I don't know what hoods sell for, but I'd think NBC stuff is pretty close to the bottom of the military collectibles food chain, and wouldn't pay too much. Same goes for the decon kit. I'd look for stuff like that from surplus dealers rather than those who sell collectibles.

If you're nearsighted, and a bugaboo for authenticity, there are also corrective lens inserts for the eyepieces, with the corrective lenses mounted in spring wire devices that snap inside each eyepiece, and connected by a spring so they will fold up when the mask is placed in the carrier. LIke regular glasses, these were made to the individual soldier's prescription.

And now the big question--can you hold your breath long enough to change the filters?

One thing that I found out is that since the mask and filters are in their own hard cloth bags, it is hard to pack. I have no clue as how they go in the cover and be closed. I do not want to remove them from the bags and loose their historical value. I have the book Vietnam War Collectible Identification and Price Guide by David Doyle so I sort of have an idea as what it looks like.

Spare filters weren't carried in the carrier, so that makes it even more of a challenge to hold your breath! If you got the mask new, it wouldn't have filters in the mask, you are to open the filters and put them into the mask before putting the mask back into the carrier.

Sharpshooter,

Take a look at the link that paul bish provided. The picture of the back side of the carrier, you can see just above the decon kit pocket that the waist strap is folded back into it. On the bottom side, there is a long narrow pocket, the thin strap in that same picture is run down and into it. If you look inside the carrier to the back, there is a flat pocket that the water proofing bag went into along with the demist canister.

Spare filters weren't carried in the carrier, so that makes it even more of a challenge to hold your breath! If you got the mask new, it wouldn't have filters in the mask, you are to open the filters and put them into the mask before putting the mask back into the carrier.

And what a pain they can be, too!

-Ski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.