Two WWII Japanese Swords from Marine Veterans Estate

John4022

Hi guys, I just picked up two swords from a 2nd Marine Division veterans estate sale. While I was at the sale I got a chance to talk to the veterans son & grandson. They told me that their father / grandfather never talked about the war so they didn't have any stories to pass on. I did get to see some pictures of him overseas but they wanted to keep them, which I completely understood. I also let them keep his dog tags which I managed to take a picture of. They showed me a wooden wardrobe which was in a garage that he stored all of his items. They told me everything has been there since he got home from the war. It seems like he was in the 2nd Marine Division and enlisted in 43, thats all I know. I certainly love pulling items out of the woodwork and it doesn't bother me too much that the swords have seen better days.

Since these are the first swords I've ever handled / seen I'm not a expert by any means. A member from another forum was kind enough to help me with the maker of the Army sword, "Ishihara Kanetada". I haven't taken apart both handles yet but once I do I'll get some better pictures. Hope you guys enjoy!

-John

20210723_162448.jpg

20210723_162520.jpg

20210723_162534.jpg

20210723_162546.jpg

20210723_162621.jpg

20210723_162732.jpg

20210723_162739.jpg

20210723_162748.jpg

15113089c46bb07a7b002ec0b84ecd4a.png

20210723_093111.jpg

20210723_094000.jpg

Great swords! I believe the sword with the ball shaped knot is for a Japanese official involved in the civil administration of Taiwan.

M24 Chaffee

Very nice bringbacks and it’s special that you were able to meet and talk to his family!

Frank

1 hour ago, Len S said:

Great swords! I believe the sword with the ball shaped knot is for a Japanese official involved in the civil administration of Taiwan.

Thank you Len! It is indeed a Formosa Civil Official sword. There were three separate grades of officials and this is the middle level "Sonin" grade. I decided I'm going to pass it on since I only collect combat related memorabilia and I think someone else will appreciate it more. It really is a beautiful sword and I think I'll probably regret selling it. 

Our great moderator aznation was kind enough to help gather some information about Virgil. He was indeed in Japan for occupational duty so this explains how he came across the Formosa sword. Chances are he probably souvenired the type 98 there too. 

s11.jpg

The final display! Hopefully someday I can add a Japanese Army helmet once I recoup some funds.

20210726_165846.jpg

20210726_154505.jpg

20210726_165920.jpg

Very nice display. I've found that the standard Japanese WW2 helmets are not easy to come by. I wanted one because my dad was in the Pacific and I looked a long while before I found one. He brought back 2 nice swords but sold them when I was off to college. Win some lose some.

21 minutes ago, sundance said:

Very nice display. I've found that the standard Japanese WW2 helmets are not easy to come by. I wanted one because my dad was in the Pacific and I looked a long while before I found one. He brought back 2 nice swords but sold them when I was off to college. Win some lose some.

Thank you! I've been looking for a helmet for about 3 years, along with a officers sword. For some reason I didn't want to buy one from a dealer or off eBay so luckily I found this one. Hopefully luck will strike us both soon!

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Corporal Kang 0311 said:

Have you displayed the uniforms/ shirts?   Thanks for sharing the items 

Both shirts I got were trashed so I took the worse one that had paint and rips and removed the patch. That patch is in the small riker. The other shirt and blanket I have are in a box. Even the blanket has pretty large holes. I have no clue how to display them so I figured Id just box them up and keep them. 

• 2 months later...
stcroixblades

Don't try to take apart the dress sword.  There is no point--it won't be signed.  It has a plated arsenal blade.  Trying to take it apart will only damage it.  

By the way, the dress sword is a Japanese Colonial dress sword--for the Japanese territory (at the time anyway) Taiwan to be exact.  

There were also dress swords for the Japanese colonies of Korea, South Seas (Nan'yo), etc.  

--Matt

www.StCroixBlades.com

1 hour ago, stcroixblades said:

Don't try to take apart the dress sword.  There is no point--it won't be signed.  It has a plated arsenal blade.  Trying to take it apart will only damage it.  

By the way, the dress sword is a Japanese Colonial dress sword--for the Japanese territory (at the time anyway) Taiwan to be exact.  

There were also dress swords for the Japanese colonies of Korea, South Seas (Nan'yo), etc.  

--Matt

www.StCroixBlades.com

Thank you for your comment. The Formosa sword actually made its way back to Taiwan! A collector there saw it and had to have it. I felt bad splitting the two swords apart but I thought it was neat for it to make its way back Taiwan. Thanks again.

Just now, stcroixblades said:

No problem.  Did you sell the other sword as well?  

—Matt

www.StCroixBlades.com

No, I don't think I could bring myself to sell that one.