Advice needed on Ike uniform

RayRay

I just just acquired this very nice condition ike jacket and full uniform. The question is do I leave the theater made bullion patch on and leave it as is or do I take the patch off and turn it into an easy company  NCO jacket with screaming eagle patch ribbons etc.

CD0D7944-A4A5-4249-A512-5F38D45FB4AD.jpeg

89AB2345-524C-45A3-BA07-C93EFDE21DE9.png

CavalryCombatant

Not a uniform expert but definitely leave it as is-

Bullion patches are extremely hard to remove, and often times you’ll damage the patch beyond collectibility.

It also looks like a pretty nice 8th Army patch, which would definitely increase the value of the jacket; far above any non patched one you’d be able to find elsewhere.

I’d honestly recommend saving it as it sits and finding a cheaper lower end one without patches.

You have a great jacket, and I’d hate to see the patch removed from it

CC

There was a time when such patches were removed and the uniform discarded or sold seperately, but those days are over. Best to keep it as is now. There are enough bogus 101st uniforms out there already, the world certainly does not need any more!

CB

I agree, I would definitely leave it as is. You can always get a plain stripped down Ike jacket for $15-20 and do what you want with that one.

8 hours ago, JasonT said:

I agree, I would definitely leave it as is. You can always get a plain stripped down Ike jacket for $15-20 and do what you want with that one.

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Can we see the bullion patch up close?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

348A6157-C709-4F01-BB0A-0199D62BD006.jpeg

Why intentionally create a fake out of an authentic uniform? Quite a controversial thing to do actually. No offense but that is generally not at all what this hobby is about.

Just now, dmar836 said:

Why intentionally create a fake out of an authentic uniform? Quite a controversial thing to do actually. No offense but that is generally not at all what this hobby is about.

I wouldn’t be doing it to deceive anyone. I would be doing it to place in a maniquine in my man cave as most of my collection and mannequins  is and are  airborne. 

I have decided to keep it original as most of the previous commenters make a valid point. Especially with the original bullion patch. 

5 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

I don't think the OP was going out to "fake" his uniform. He has an Army one and wants to display an Airborne. Nothing wrong with that. He made no claim to then try and sell it as genuine Airborne. The hobby is about personal enjoyment of your collection. If the OP wants an Airborne jacket, and will enjoy turning an Army one into an Airborne as long as he isn't doing it to sell it as genuine . . . that's what the hobby is about. 

11 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I wouldn’t be doing it to deceive anyone. I would be doing it to place in a maniquine in my man cave as most of my collection and mannequins  is and are  airborne. 

I have decided to keep it original as most of the previous commenters make a valid point. Especially with the original bullion patch. 

I can see the good reason to leave the bullion patch, since they are hard to remove. However, you could consider selling this one and buying a plain one to make your own Airborne! Or maybe you'll end up getting into 8th Army. :)

I understand the intentions but the outcome could be the same - long term. Just something to consider. Thanks for the explanation, RayRay and welcome to the forum.

It's not too uncommon for a collector to recreate a uniform from scratch to perhaps honor a relative or ancestor for example whose uniform no longer exists or was lost at some point. This has been debated a lot already. On the one hand, it's his to do with as he pleases. On the other hand, if it goes into someone else's hands down the road they may not know it was a put together or may not care if they can get more money for it.