A Collection of Indian War Projectiles I've Found this Year

Mason Jarr

When I'm out metal detecting I find way more metallic casings than bullets, but this year I found a fairly large amount of bullets (still found more casings though). This first batch is from .45/70 rifles or .45/55 carbines. I think they both shot the same 405 grain bullets...just a lighter powder charge in the carbine. I haven't weighed these so there might be one or two of the 500 grain bullets that were used later on. Obviously some have been fired or mangled by some other method.

20210722_120232_resized.jpg

This next batch is a variety of .58 cal conicals. I'm definitely no expert on these, but I know a couple are Williams Cleaners.

20210722_120715_resized.jpg

These are from a Snake Indian War site around 1866 and apparently muskets were still being used there. Most of these are .69 caliber, but the bottom two are .54s.

20210722_121432_resized_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is a chunk of a cannonball, most likely a 12 pounder, but I'm not sure on the size. Also shown are some friction fuses, but the fragment and fuses were found at different locations (all the fuses came from a site in Montana).

20210722_122136.jpg

And lastly, is a conglomeration of bullets that I've yet to sort and identify. I'm positive most are period correct, but there could be a few modern bullets mixed in the lot.

20210722_122526.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Wow, I wish I had your skills in detecting. Well done

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Wonderful finds! I can tell you that when a muzzle loading cannon is fired with friction primers, the tube shoots way up in the air and they never seem to land in the same place.

• 5 months later...