Mystery Patch? - CA State Guard 1945-46

Capt.Confederacy

Go to solution Solved by aznation,

Capt.Confederacy

I took a gamble on purchasing this particular error patch.  Judging by the construction, I'm guessing it's 1940's or 1950's.  However, I don't know if this is a military or civilian.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks in advance.

Mystery patch.jpg

Back of Patch.jpg

• Solution

Source:  Worthpoint

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ww2-california-national-guard-state-sg-poppy-2

Note:  On your pic you have the patch upside down.  Those are letters on the patch and they are "S" and "G" for State Guard.

This is an ORIGINAL....late WW2...1945 thru 1946...California State National Guard/State Guard Patch. This is the California Poppy within a diamond...and the letters: SG...left & right of the center diamond design. California State colors of blue with golden yellow design embroidery. Practically all white reverse stitching. Diameter of patch: 2-1/2". This patch was worn as the Cal Guard was beginning its post-war disbandment in late '45-46...while fighting some major state forest fires...and wore it for the last time by August, 1946.

I'm sure AZ is right, but the first thing I thought of seeing that patch was the submarine Seaview from Voyage to The Bottom of the Sea.

Mikie

th.jpg

Capt.Confederacy

Thanks guys!  I never would have guessed what that emblem in the middle was supposed to be.  (I thought it might be a bell of some kind and thought it might be connected to the phone company!) 

Thanks again.

54 minutes ago, Capt.Confederacy said:

Thanks guys!  I never would have guessed what that emblem in the middle was supposed to be.  (I thought it might be a bell of some kind and thought it might be connected to the phone company!) 

Thanks again.

You're welcome.  Very odd looking patch for sure.