'88 BAYONET SQUAD. 4 BATT. Silver Badge ID Needed

warpath

'88 BAYONET SQUAD. 4 BATT. Silver Badge JOHN HARRIOTT BOSTON maker stamped on reverse.

I assume it is for a guard unit, but it was in a collection of US Marine Corps EGAs.  Anyone know what unit or organization this was please post details. Thanks. Ed

'88 Bayonet Squadron (1).jpg

'88 Bayonet Squadron (4).jpg

'88 Bayonet Squadron (2).jpg

'88 Bayonet Squadron (3).jpg

'88 Bayonet Squadron (5).jpg

That silver badge was given to a winning member of the Fourth Battalion bayonet squad for bayonet drills conducted during competition in the year 1888.  The "EHS" stands for English High School.  The English High School of Boston, Massachusetts, United States, is one of the first public high schools in America, founded in 1821. Originally called The English Classical School, it was renamed The English High School upon its first relocation in 1824.

2 hours ago, patches said:

Wow az strikes again, fantastic job.

Thank you very much!  -- Matt

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I love the 3 bayonets.

Az how did you find it?

On Newspapers.com at first I just did a search for "Bayonet Squad" which came back with quite a few hits, so I narrowed it down some by searching for the same thing except for the years 1880 to 1890.  There were still quite a few hits but after looking through a good many articles I noticed one from Boston that also had the initials EHS associated with bayonet squad.  I remembered seeing the letters EHS on the medal so right then I new I was onto something.  Another article actually spelled out what EHS stood for, which was English High School.  So next I did a search for "English High School" and "Fourth Battalion", only looking at Boston area newspapers.  After I found the Fourth Battalion, I did a search for "English High School" "Fourth Battalion" and "W. Boynton" (since I only knew the first name started with an "R") and finally I ran across those articles which I posted and luckily one of them revealed Boynton's first name, Richard.