Post your SOS finds/acquisitions here!

stratasfan

CNY Militaria

Regarding the 10 minutes per table idea, I would throw that out the window. Everyone ends up skipping numerous tables that just don't have anything of interest to them, and you'll find that some dealers are not interested in conversation. Some dealers are not (ever) present at their table(s). Once at the table, unless it's filled with the specific items you look for, it will only take a a couple moments to get a good look at everything. The only people that I have ever encountered that can't walk the show in a day tend to have some sort of mobility limitation.  It seems like a larger task than it actually is.

CNY Militaria
48 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

How's the overall attendance?

Despite most of the international crowd not being there, it seemed like attendance was fairly high. Even with wider aisles I often found myself weaving through people.

Hookemhorns88
3 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

Regarding the 10 minutes per table idea, I would throw that out the window. Everyone ends up skipping numerous tables that just don't have anything of interest to them, and you'll find that some dealers are not interested in conversation. Some dealers are not (ever) present at their table(s). Once at the table, unless it's filled with the specific items you look for, it will only take a a couple moments to get a good look at everything. The only people that I have ever encountered that can't walk the show in a day tend to have some sort of mobility limitation.  It seems like a larger task than it actually is.

I support this. IMO it can be covered in a day unless you are interested in everything that is there of which most people are not. So a cursory scan of a lot of tables occurs. And yes, there were many times when I asked about an item and the person behind the table told me to “hang on, let me call so and so”.

CNY Militaria
4 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I support this. IMO it can be covered in a day unless you are interested in everything that is there of which most people are not. So a cursory scan of a lot of tables occurs. And yes, there were many times when I asked about an item and the person behind the table told me to “hang on, let me call so and so”.

I wanted to buy a $500+ group yesterday from one dealer whose table helpers didn’t have his phone number, didn’t know where he went, and didn’t know about his items or prices. I ended up leaving and checking back several times. After almost an hour he returned so that I could finally speak with him and complete a deal. I wish I could say that this was a rare occurrence, but it happens more than one would think at this show. 

4th Miss Cav

Just left the show and I had a great time overall. I was able to put a few faces with names. I found some good deals on items I was looking for.  The only thing that bothers me is some dealers won’t even look up from their phones to speak to you. Why even go and set up if this is how your going to act.   When I set up I always try and speak to everyone who stops to look at my items

The SF Officer RCUs have had tape placed over the name tapes for obvious reasons.  They both also have numbered crossed arrow BOS collar insignia.   

Ghillie suit is in the back with pockets on the sleeves.

Armor is a three color Safarland used by JTACs and 5th SFG, an AWS body armor, and a MARSOC used body armor (not a show find, but waiting for me when I got home).

A theater modified ACU combat shirt (earlier piece with no shoulder reinforcements) and a pair of BDU shorts that have been cut into a UDT shorts pattern

DCUs are a badged out 101stABN, a SF Captain DCU, and a SF Warrant Officer DCU.

An Iraqi Republican Guard Special Forces DPM set with helmet and net.

20210724_143049.jpg

Really didn’t know how much of a niche there was for modern era or Gulf war era military items. Very cool! 

vintageproductions

The larger lay-out was very nice.

The attendance was down, but the people who were there were buying.

It was my best selling SOS ever, but it was also my worst buying SOS ( I could never get out from behind the tables because we were always busy)……

Brian Keith

Here are my two biggest purchases. Got to meet the authors, shake their hand, and buy signed books! Many of you folks will likely recognize these.

Thanks Dave and Jerry! Not the first time I attended the SOS and spent more on books than "stuff"!

Great Show! Thanks OVMS Staff!

BKW

P7250422.JPG

My 2 big finds, ww1 DSC recipient uniform/research and an amazing ww1 aviators uniform, complete with the Sam Browne belt, pants, Tiffany wings, and when I got home I discovered the original pilot goggles in one of the pockets. Will do more detailed posts of them in the future 

20210725_075645.jpg

20210725_080111.jpg

4th Miss Cav

Picked up this saddlers chest from a forum member at the SOS's.  Also some field and mess gear.  Field shoes are stamped H. E. Jenkins 1st quality and still have label on the heel.  Span Am belt has 21 rounds of 92 dated ammo.  The spoons are dated between 1907 thru 1918.  Cup is marked R I A 1909.  The canteen is a M 1878 and the Stonebridge folding lantern is US marked

chest 1.jpg

chest 2.jpg

gear 1.jpg

gear 2.jpg

Longhorn92
On 7/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, vintageproductions said:

The larger lay-out was very nice.

The attendance was down, but the people who were there were buying.

It was my best selling SOS ever, but it was also my worst buying SOS ( I could never get out from behind the tables because we were always busy)……

Did you manage to sell that Patches zippo?

Jake Zenger

Lots of great items posted here so far. I'm eager to see what other people came away with as I also wasn't able to attend this year. Let me live vicariously through those that went! 

I had my best show by far, this year. Really no time to walk around except in the morning before uncovering my tables from 8:30 till 9:00. I was by myself, so made the choice to man the tables rather than shop around. The results were amazing. I did well all 4 days. Usually Saturday is a little slow from the public, or people are wanting to get discounts at the end of the show. Not the case this year. Had a great show all 4 days. I thought the crowds were pretty constant the entire show. Attendance may have been down a little, without the Europeans coming over, but I saw more money being spent by the buyers. If you had good stuff priced reasonably, you did well. Great show put on by some fine people who really went all out to make it a success. Can't wait until February for the next one. Dave

1 minute ago, Longhorn92 said:

Looks like everyone had a great show. It was fun. I picked up several patches on my list plus some uniform items.

7BC91D15-801F-4D5D-9D80-39FC27EA4044.jpeg

Oh, thanks for sharing! That round bullion one is really amazingly done! Really partial to that 11 Airborne . . . which appears to be bullion as well?

3 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Oh, thanks for sharing! That round bullion one is really amazingly done! Really partial to that 11 Airborne . . . which appears to be bullion as well?

The round one is a really tough one to find. It’s the 5th Army Airborne Training Center. Yes, that’s a Japanese made 11th but it’s a little damaged in the center.

0B476A0E-8EED-4EB9-8F77-620031C35C39.jpeg

7FAC49B1-79FD-4601-9087-0F4ABB1E9B5A.jpeg

Oh, but it is gorgeous! That was just fragile fabric that failed. It looks fabulous! Thanks for the lovely pictures! Bet you are happy!

Unfortunately due to travel restrictions from Europe and schedule conflicts I was the only one out of our usual group of six to make the show leaving me with six tables to watch alone which left little time to get out and search the show.  Purchased nothing US but I did find some very nice pieces to go with my MG08 and Vickers.  Managed a WWI MG08 steam condensing can, WWI 500 round ammunition box, Vickers spare parts case and a MG08 barrel gland.  Not much but it is a haul considering I hardly left the tables during the show between Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon.