Post your SOS finds/acquisitions here!

stratasfan

stratasfan

Since I couldn't go (and I know others couldn't go, too), I'm just dying to see what everyone who did go finds! So, here is a thread where y'all can post anything fun that you acquire over the next several days! Can't wait to see! :) 

TexRdnec

unless they bought old food, i want to pretend that there wasn't a single c  or k rat in the whole damned place...

CNY Militaria

I only had a few moments to walk around during setup last night but so far bought a bunch of top shelf US uniforms and a patch collection. I saw a lot of dealers making great deals already and missed out on some smokin’ good deals.  As a seller, I sold enough to create more space in my vehicle to buy more things! 

stratasfan
1 hour ago, CNY Militaria said:

I only had a few moments to walk around during setup last night but so far bought a bunch of top shelf US uniforms and a patch collection. I saw a lot of dealers making great deals already and missed out on some smokin’ good deals.  As a seller, I sold enough to create more space in my vehicle to buy more things! 

That's great! Always got to make room for new items! :) 

Hope someone posts pictures of the hall in general, just to give a feel of what it is like! :) Can't wait to see what treasures people find! :)

stratasfan

D-Day plus 6 hours . . . :) 

Wonder what the turn-out was like, without the overseas buyers in the end. Or is the Thursday afternoon typically slow?

Thursday is for members of the Ohio Valley club.

The show is so massive, most attendees report scrambling to see as much of it as they can.  

Most of the photos of favorite finds will probably not come until people get home next week.  However there are some on the USMF Facebook page and ASMIC Facebook pages.

stratasfan

I would guess tons join just to go yesterday afternoon? I could imagine it would be a scramble. We were doing some figuring yesterday . . . 

If you spent only 10 minutes at a single booth (that means getting there, up to the table, looking, chatting, paying, etc.) and at the next 10 minute start you'd be at the next table already . . . . if you had 8 hours Friday and 6 hours Saturday, you'd see 84 booths in those 14 hours. 48 booths the first day and 36 booths the second day. At 10 minutes each, that's six per hour. That doesn't include bathroom breaks or eating breaks. :) 

You'd have to be at the first table on the opening minute, is there is a line at the door or you have to buy your ticket  . ..  you'd have to lose a table or two. Mom and I decided that we could probably do 20 over the two days. We'd have to eat and we'd have to talk and we'd have to look at everything! :) 

If you browse or talk for ten minutes at one table, that would be one less  table that you could go. If you have to wait a couple of minutes to get a place at a table, that cuts the shopping down to 6 or 7 minutes at that table. If the paying line takes a few minutes, then you'd have only a couple of minutes to actually look and choose items. :) Since a table is only 8 feet wide, that means that only 6 people max can be looking at that table at one time! 

So, analyzing it like that, we found out how you could go every year and not see every dealer!

stratasfan

If you did ten minutes at each table, you can look at 5% of the tables in the two days like I listed above. (Browsing is out! Mom and I would be totally lost in these stats. :) )

To lay it out . . . if you did this ten minute-a-table  schedule  for the solid two days --- It would take a person 20 years of SOS shows just to see this year's tables! :) 

If you pay for the OVMS membership for the Thursday, you could view 30 more tables, to add to your 84 over Friday and Saturday. We'll discount Sunday, as they are probably all tearing down already, and that would be catch-as-catch-can. 

Really, the way to maximize your time at the SOS is to become a dealer and then you'd have the set-up and tear-down time to deal with other dealers. But, you'd need a partner to man the table for all the open hours! -grin- 

So . . . I bet it is a crush and it certainly would be a memorable experience! :) Really fun! 

PMAN12094

I would love to go but maybe next time. I’m sure id be going nuts there.

stratasfan
2 minutes ago, PMAN12094 said:

I would love to go but maybe next time. I’m sure id be going nuts there.

You said it! I would be totally overwhelmed! It would be like a really hands-on museum! I would even be going to buy, really, just to see and experience all the things I only get to see online! But, it would cost almost $700 for just me to go for the two days, and I would never be able to swing that, so I always enjoy seeing others' pictures! 

So . . . members who are posting on facebook should come post here! Our photo uploading is dead easy now! -grin-

Steve Brannan

Have bought some things and sold some. It’s a great show. Here’s me and my wife at our table C41. Come on by. 

6214EE03-E046-4C75-ABDA-DBE6447F1E3D.jpeg

stratasfan

Super nice set-up! Do you have the tables behind you, too? How are the crowds this year, without the Internationls there?

Steve Brannan

Just one table. I’m one of the little guys. Sales volume is down this year due to the loss of the European guys. Only a few here. They had to fly to the Caribbean first and wait 14 days before coming the US. 

Id go broke after the first 25 feet lol. I’d live to go but sadly the drive is a bit too far. 

AustinO
8 hours ago, stratasfan said:

If you did ten minutes at each table, you can look at 5% of the tables in the two days like I listed above. (Browsing is out! Mom and I would be totally lost in these stats. :) )

To lay it out . . . if you did this ten minute-a-table  schedule  for the solid two days --- It would take a person 20 years of SOS shows just to see this year's tables! :) 

If you pay for the OVMS membership for the Thursday, you could view 30 more tables, to add to your 84 over Friday and Saturday. We'll discount Sunday, as they are probably all tearing down already, and that would be catch-as-catch-can. 

Really, the way to maximize your time at the SOS is to become a dealer and then you'd have the set-up and tear-down time to deal with other dealers. But, you'd need a partner to man the table for all the open hours! -grin- 

So . . . I bet it is a crush and it certainly would be a memorable experience! :) Really fun! 

I don't collect German - so only glance at those tables in passing (for the stray US item).  Thats 40-50% of the show that I can skip.  I think I only spent 10 minutes at one dealer's tables this SoS, a mix of buying and socializing (thanks Mike W!) Most of the tables are pretty quick to scan/process.  I've seen most of the show this week so far, but still found a couple tables today that I had missed previously, and made purchases at them.  

stratasfan
7 minutes ago, AustinO said:

I don't collect German - so only glance at those tables in passing (for the stray US item).  Thats 40-50% of the show that I can skip.  I think I only spent 10 minutes at one dealer's tables this SoS, a mix of buying and socializing (thanks Mike W!) Most of the tables are pretty quick to scan/process.  I've seen most of the show this week so far, but still found a couple tables today that I had missed previously, and made purchases at them.  

So, you'd say 40-50% of tables are mostly German items? I was wondering how much German stuff would be there. That would shorten it for me. 

I just got back from the SoS and had a great time.  Saw some old friends, met some people I knew from the internet (forums and FB), and made some new friends too.  While I did do well militaria wise, it was the ability to meet people and share mutual interests that really makes the SoS for me.  All of what I bought was Desert Storm era or newer, so not sure how much interest there would be.  

dave peifer
35 minutes ago, Nkomo said:

I just got back from the SoS and had a great time.  Saw some old friends, met some people I knew from the internet (forums and FB), and made some new friends too.  While I did do well militaria wise, it was the ability to meet people and share mutual interests that really makes the SoS for me.  All of what I bought was Desert Storm era or newer, so not sure how much interest there would be.  

sounds interesting to me,were there any nice special forces groups or socom groups for sale?.....................dave

15 minutes ago, dave peifer said:

sounds interesting to me,were there any nice special forces groups or socom groups for sale?.....................dave

There was quite a bit of SF items from both Vietnam and GWOT.  All of what I picked up (minus a 101st DCU and an Iraqi DS grouping) was SF. 

Longbranch
53 minutes ago, Nkomo said:

Yo! Don’t hold out on us. Show that treasure you scrounged up at SOS! Lol

CavalryCombatant

This will be fun-  wish I was there!

Looking forward to seeing all the loot.

stratasfan

Oh, I'm interested, @Nkomo! May not be my area, but I love seeing what people got and the treasures everyone found! -grin- Are you going back tomorrow or are you done?

dave peifer

yes..........if you have time please post............thanks................dave

stratasfan

How's the overall attendance?

Steve Brannan

Overall attendance may be down some but the large spread North Hall made it appear so. We’ll see what Saturday brings