Flight Helmet Boom and Microphone / MT-521 A/U & Carbon Mic

Wayward Son

Wayward Son

Greetings.

I posted this in the WANTED subforum, but thought it would reach the right group of folks here.

I acquired a nice H-3 flight helmet, but it is missing the boom mic assembly. I am hoping someone here has a spare that they are willing to let go for a fair price. Well used condition is just fine. Please don't direct me to flight helmet dot com as their shipping costs for such small items are way too high.

Thanks in advance.

Bradford

navy-3-4-flight-helmet-boom-mic_1_bd5aaad99a3819a221db11c6be507f72.jpeg

Sorry I can't help you with this one, for I was obviously thinking FH.com 😁.

The exact nomenclature for the carbon mic you're looking for is M-6A/UR, hope it can be of help if you try to find it separately from the boom.

I would go to EBay….but search headphones and earphones. They tend to be poor sellers and many times can have the mic you’re  looking for.

Wayward Son

The correct boom and mic has been found with much thanks due to 72psb. Pics of the completed project to follow in the coming days. 

That's good news, way to go Bob !

Looking forward to seeing your completed helmet, Bradford. The third of the H-3/H-4 kind, if I'm not mistaken.

Wayward Son

20210801_145716.jpg.ce4f39400ca29492ad0e3e515706e9c9.jpg20210801_145302.jpg.6970e2b5333751cd544f3d2138759205.jpg

20210801_145415.jpg.0e5e3a673c0aabc185875b725545b87e.jpg

The completed H-3. I like the dual blue stripes and how they stand out against the gold. The helmet displays a nice amount of honest wear.

I can't say it enough, but I really appreciate 72PSB stepping up and offering the boom mic. He is a fantastic gentleman and a true asset to this community. Cheers to Bob!

Looking good, nice complete set with matching cloth liner and USN goggles 🙂.

The blue stripe (I guess that was a single one which was "splitted" in half by the shell ridges' wear) adds indeed a nice color touch, love the patina.

And cheers to Bob for the mic !

Hi Robert. Thanks for your kind words!

The H-3 and H-4 are very similar in appearance. There are a few subtle differences on the exterior of the helmets that I look for. One is the placement of the  adjustment straps for the interior suspension. The H-3 straps are are located farther forward on the temple of the shell. There is also a slight variation in the molding of the exterior ribbing, with the H-3 ribbing being more pronounced, or raised, in my eye. The most telling is on the inside of the helmet. The H-3 is labeled with a "Gentex" decal, while the one placed in the H-4 specifies "Gentex H-4".

That's my non expert take on things! 🙂

10 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Hi Robert. Thanks for your kind words!

The H-3 and H-4 are very similar in appearance. There are a few subtle differences on the exterior of the helmets that I look for. One is the placement of the  adjustment straps for the interior suspension. The H-3 straps are are located farther forward on the temple of the shell. There is also a slight variation in the molding of the exterior ribbing, with the H-3 ribbing being more pronounced, or raised, in my eye. The most telling is on the inside of the helmet. The H-3 is labeled with a "Gentex" decal, while the one placed in the H-4 specifies "Gentex H-4".

That's my non expert take on things! 🙂

Bradford, 

Thank you very much for the explanation.  It helps me a great deal.  

My grandfather wore an H3 during the Korean War and I plan to assemble a group like this to display alongside his militaria.  It will take me some time, but this will help me find the appropriate helmet.  My thanks to you for the info. 

Congrats again on your lovely H3!

Robert

651402A9-C0D0-481C-A714-7BD250221601.jpeg

1 hour ago, Militiaman said:

Bradford, 

Thank you very much for the explanation.  It helps me a great deal.  

My grandfather wore an H3 during the Korean War and I plan to assemble a group like this to display alongside his militaria.  It will take me some time, but this will help me find the appropriate helmet.  My thanks to you for the info. 

Congrats again on your lovely H3!

Robert

651402A9-C0D0-481C-A714-7BD250221601.jpeg

Wow! What a FANTASTIC photo! That surely is a H-3 he is wearing. I like the custom sky blue crown painted on it. That is going to be a fun project to recreate it for your tribute display. Keep us posted on your progress.

B.

Thank you!  I certainly will.  But given my budget for the hobby at the moment, it will be a bit.  

As best I can tell, the entire squadron had them painted up this way. 

E094EC5F-AC78-43C2-87DA-2454FBC60302.jpeg

I concur, H-3 helmets for sure (without the additional front liner snap/strap retentions sported by Bradford's shell).

And it I may add : these are very cool color pics !

From what I see on the shoulder patches and a plane tail, looks like your grandfather flew F9F Panthers from VF-831 aboard USS Antietam (so according to squadron history I searched on the web, this "cruise" with the Antietam dates the pictures between 8 September 1951 to 2 May 1952).

On 8/12/2021 at 11:00 AM, Vark_07 said:

I concur, H-3 helmets for sure (without the additional front liner snap/strap retentions sported by Bradford's shell).

And it I may add : these are very cool color pics !

From what I see on the shoulder patches and a plane tail, looks like your grandfather flew F9F Panthers from VF-831 aboard USS Antietam (so according to squadron history I searched on the web, this "cruise" with the Antietam dates the pictures between 8 September 1951 to 2 May 1952).

Thank you for your comments, Vark_07.

You are correct!  My grandfather did two deployments flying the F9F during the Korean War.  One on the USS Antietam (Sep 51 - May 52).  Then on the USS Princeton (Jan 53 - Oct 53).  According to his log books of the time, he flew with VF-831, VF-837, and VF-153.  I believe VF-831 was renamed VF-153 in Feb 1953.

Looking back through my files I found this photo.  Not all of the squadron had their H-3's painted with a blue crown.  But the pilot second from the right had the unit Griffon painted on his helmet.  Funny, I've seen this picture many, many times, and I never noticed that before.  Man, I'd sure LOVE to have that helmet, especially my grandfathers.  I've also never been able to identify the patch they are wearing on their right sleeve.  Looks like it's possibly a tiger?  I hope to one day identify it and get one for my patch collection. 

Bradford.  My apologies for hijacking your thread.  But I truly thank you for helping me learn about and acquiring an H-3 for my collection!    

Tigers3 51 R.jpg

KW Patches.jpg