WW2 parachute packing - help

jerry_k

Hello. 

I need a professional help of WW2 Navy QAC chute packing. Anyone know a correct person who can help me in that?

Thanks,

Jerry

Now way? Tons of people speak here about flying helmets, screws, foam, headset, cables but zero chute riggers?

6 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

https://www.theriggerdepot.com/aaf.html

he is on the forum here, but can't recall his user ID...chute him an email.....

Almost zero contact with Josh since 1,5 year :( 

I don't know what going there but I sent 15 emails to Josh in past 1,5 year and I got 2 reply and nothing :(

Thanks Dmar, my friend (many thanks for his big help with clean the chute and additional help) tried to do it but without positive results, is why I asking...

Chute is ready to go:

image.png.c59c7120eb2d47ed613cc22b2b80dd7b.png

Take care

Jerry

Wow . . . while I know nothing about parachutes (other than count ten before pulling the rip cord, as they say in the movies!) . . . I guess I know why the "Parachute Rigger" qualification badge bar was so hard to earn! -grin- 

I just noticed . . . the chute is that pile in your hall! 😲 How long is it, laid out like that? I knew they were large, but had no idea that large!

Hi Eli :)

This is photo from my friend home who helped me with the chute. Yes lines are quite long. Here is a nice movie about WW2 Navy riggers and his work:

enjoy,

Jerry

I am not a professional, or even a rigger. I mostly collect aircrew survival gear and parachutes spill over into my area of interest from time to time.  I have packed several parachutes for my ejection seats and like projects.  I would never give anyone information on packing a chute they were going to actually use.  If you need professional help, then I can't help you, but I have a bit of information on packing chutes starting in the 1980's.  There hasn't been a lot of changes to the way the shroud lines were stored and the canopy folded.  If all you are trying to do is pack a chute for display then I might be able to help you.  What do you need?

Did you get that Jerry!? 

It is that easy! obviously it's a total breeze according to that video.......... (extreme sarcasm)

Looks like the trick to success starts at about 1:29 getting the folds right and wrinkle free, then it looks fairly self explanatory from there. Do you have 40 foot table?

Dustin is absolutely correct!!!  If you start with a mess, it never gets any better. The key to getting everything in the pack, and more importantly, getting the pack closed is to get the canopy laid out correctly with the gores flat and smooth and the shroud lines tangle free. The rest is just stowing the shroud lines in the loops as you slide the canopy down the table, then placing the canopy in the container. (No stuffing allowed.)

I was just teasing Jerry, as I got a chuckle at which speed they pack a chute. They were going so fast I couldn't tell exactly how they were prepping the pleats in the chute.

I have beem on holiday for a week. Get back next week and will try to give more info:) it is all looks easy on a war time video hahaa.

Chute is in USA, Im in Europe. My friend had a problem with pack the chute in correct way to close a flaps... a few inch more to close a safety pins correctly.

Cheers,

Jerry

I know you were!  But there was a lot of truth in your teasing.  I have watched riggers packing chutes and like so many things, it looks much easier when you watch somebody else do it. 

2 hours ago, RWW said:

I know you were!  But there was a lot of truth in your teasing.  I have watched riggers packing chutes and like so many things, it looks much easier when you watch somebody else do it. 

Its probably not so bad when you are a rigger and do it all the time.   If it were me though, Id rather watch someone else do it.

• 3 months later...