Soldiers Rest pin

I have had this pin for some time and so far have not been able come up with a positive ID.

I have found reference to a Soldier's Rest in Virginia  used for R&R during the Civil War.

If anyone knows this pin I will be grateful for  any information.

If I am in the wrong section please feel free to move my post.

thumbnail_processed (6).jpg

thumbnail_processed (7).jpg

USCapturephotos

I've been thinking about it and wonder if it could somehow be related to the US Christian Commission "Sanitary Fairs" set up during the Civil War to promote the welfare and well being of soldiers in the Union Army. Take a look at this link. I've read somewhere that as Union troops from further north were headed south through Philadelphia, they could go to a place to receive some refreshment to help them on their journey.

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org/archive/civil-war-sanitary-fairs/

Paul

USCapturephotos

I think it’s possible. I have heard of Christian Commission or Sanitary Commission items being found and some even dug on Civil War sites. Never seen one like yours but definitely worthy of more research.

Paul

I am.

I was making headway with the pin around Feb 2019 and then my sources  just disappeared.

Maybe someone else will recognize it for what it is.

USCapturephotos
On 7/22/2021 at 8:58 AM, Boy Howdy said:

I am.

I was making headway with the pin around Feb 2019 and then my sources  just disappeared.

Maybe someone else will recognize it for what it is.

I showed a pic of it to my friend Ryan who is very knowledgeable about PA during the Civil War and his first thought was a volunteer pin from the soldier's rest that was here in Philadelphia during the war.

Paul

• 1 month later...