"Trenched" EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

I like it, but it's neither dress nor service, so could not be worn, The globe and eagle are service finished, and the continents and anchor are dress finished. What could you wear that on? Now, to you current or recent Marines. Is any trenching done on emblems today, other than wearing off the finish from the continents on the service emblems?

Steve

I have seen several modern emblems with the finish intentionally removed from the continents, but I contribute it to bored Marines with an extra or unserviceable emblem pulling graveyard at the duty desk. Trenching today would get you hemmed up quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Schnicklfritz

A friend of mine gave me several pieces of left side officer's collar EGAs a few years back. There was one complete set in there, the set pictured. I was stumped on what to really do with them. What I ended up doing was trenching them like above and handing them out to a few of my Marine co-workers on the Birthday.

I used a blackening chemical on the brass to turn it black. It didn't come out too bad, but now that I can see it better in the pics, I wish I had used paint instead.

• 5 months later...
jeremiahcable

1930s era enlisted visor EGA that someone way overdid the stippling on. Looks like it was turned into some sort of bracelet.

• 1 month later...
Schnicklfritz

Very heavily trenched. The brass ring looks too small for a bracelet compared to the size of the EGA. Perhaps something put on a walking stick or something like that. ???

teufelhunde.ret

Appears to my eye, the stempling on the globe is period as evidenced by the old white residue left by the brasso. However, the rest manipulated surface are not indicative of any other trenching work I’ve seen from the era. SWAG, some kid got ahold of his fathers or relatives emblem and merely abused it... what a shame as the original stemplling and polishing was superior. Likely a sea-going bellhop.

• 2 years later...

Some beauties in there, but I wouldn't call the top center trenched...it appears to be German-made sand cast, and not unusual to see the globe upside down on these

Very cool. Would love to learn more about the sand-cast ...

5 hours ago, Brig said:

Some beauties in there, but I wouldn't call the top center trenched...it appears to be German-made sand cast, and not unusual to see the globe upside down on these

19 hours ago, b_hinch said:

Very cool. Would love to learn more about the sand-cast ...

I believe there's a topic or two in the reference forum, I believe Bobgee posted one one upon a time. They're believed to by occupation made in Germany

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...