Is this a correct Vietnam Uniform?

Militarytorch

Militarytorch

This uniform was my second impulse buy :) (First one wasn't so good LOL )

Is it correct?

It came with a jacket, shirt, cap and pants.

The name is Richard W. Eaton with a number: 18979 0? 82

Here come silly questions.

Is the shirt a dress uniform shirt that would have been worn under the jacket?

Can the soldier's number be looked up somewhere online?

Blue cord? Just part of the dress uniform? and so are the US buttons with blue plastic?

Pin on the right hand side has 2 leaves? what is the significance of them?

How to care/clean for this uniform? It is a bit dirty.

If I catch a uniform bug I will buy few books but for now please bear with me and my questions.

Thank you.

20210720_103552.jpg

20210720_103557.jpg

20210720_103603.jpg

20210720_103614.jpg

20210720_103642.jpg

20210720_103711.jpg

10 minutes ago, Airbornewingz said:

Try to look for any inside pockets or tags. They might have dates on them that I can tell

Correct....VN era items would fall under DSA contract numbers/information.....With a corresponding date or number included....Bodes

easterneagle87

Look in the right breast pocket for a DSA number (DSA-100-XX-C-XXXX) The double x's would indicate the contract year.

Did the ribbon rack come with it? Nice one piece green uniform backing rack if so. The Vietnam Campaign ribbon (last one - green white) is missing the little "60 - " device scroll. The uniform can be cleaned. Remove all of the insignia and take it to a legitimate dry cleaners.  Are there any length of service hash marks on the bottom of the left sleeve and overseas service bars on the bottom of the right sleeve?  

What part of Washington are you located in? 

"Is the shirt a dress uniform shirt that would have been worn under the jacket?"

No, the shirt is part of a fatigue uniform that would have been worn in the field.  It's a nice example with all of the patches attached.  If sold, it would probably bring more money than the dress green uniform jacket.

There would have been a dress light brown shirt that would have been worn with this uniform along with a black tie.  Later the Army transitioned to a light green shirt, but light brown (or khaki, if you prefer) would have been correct for the Vietnam period.

Militarytorch

easterneagle87, everything came with it and currently hanging off (pictures attached)

What is the name of the retaining pins? that I need to get in order to attach everything back?

"Nice one piece green uniform backing rack if so"

Please forgive me as I don't know the vocabulary when it comes to uniforms yet :)

What is the green uniform backing rack? I am probably asking some sill questions here.

I didn't find any hashmarks

I am in Redmond WA but the uniform came from a store in Conway WA 

Thank you for your help

20210721_182323.jpg

20210721_182340.jpg

20210721_182358.jpg

Militarytorch

"

No, the shirt is part of a fatigue uniform that would have been worn in the field.  It's a nice example with all of the patches attached.  If sold, it would probably bring more money than the dress green uniform jacket.

"

Just out of curiosity what is this whole uniform worth? ball park? I paid $100 for it, I like it but if I end up with others I want to know what something like this is worth.

PS I will be looking into buying books on uniforms. 

easterneagle87

Your jacket is contract dated for 1967 (DSA-100-67-C-…), so it is a Vietnam era coat. Most ribbon bars slide along a little metal track when they are put together. These have been stitched to a green backing material and is one piece. That is a custom touch/addition.  This is a nice bonus as most ribbon bars are multiple pieces and do not look near as nice as these.  The backing clutches are easy to find. As for value, with all of the pieces you bought, you’d probably get what you paid for. There’s a lot of Vietnam army uniforms out there. Price will be what the market will bear. Possibly more if you can get documents/ photos of the soldier. 

Amateur Vietnam Collector
On 7/21/2021 at 11:34 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Your jacket is contract dated for 1967 (DSA-100-67-C-…), so it is a Vietnam era coat. Most ribbon bars slide along a little metal track when they are put together. These have been stitched to a green backing material and is one piece. That is a custom touch/addition.  This is a nice bonus as most ribbon bars are multiple pieces and do not look near as nice as these.  The backing clutches are easy to find. As for value, with all of the pieces you bought, you’d probably get what you paid for. There’s a lot of Vietnam army uniforms out there. Price will be what the market will bear. Possibly more if you can get documents/ photos of the soldier. 

Hi Easterneagle87,

Since you are knowledgeable on DSA numbers, I thought you might be able to help me.  The DSA number for this type 1 tropical combat coat ends in -63-C, which would seem to indicate that it was made in 1963.  However, according to the DSA chart I have, uniforms in 1963 would end in E63? Thank you for your help.9CF1308D-6135-463B-B15D-370272360C8F.jpeg.a66170c71576f357efeb70e395700294.jpeg

E79C783E-97FD-4F34-8425-6FCAB7BC2CFD.jpeg