Sergeant William C. McCarthy US Army 30th Infantry Division 117th Infantry Regiment 1st Battalion Company A 1944-1945

Tonybulldog

Tonybulldog

My Great Uncle Bill McCarthy was a World War 2 Veteran.  I knew him but I never asked him about his time in the service as instructed by family members.  Only after his passing and my interest growing did I start to ask questions and dig.  I even hired Golden Arrow Research to see what they could find out.  Found out a lot of details but the only thing that still eludes me is what he did to earn the Silver Star Medal he was awarded. He was in the Battle of the Bulge where he went from PFC to SGT December 25, 1944. He was wounded March 24, 1945 when they crossed the Rhine River.

20210503_123902.jpg.e63a52dd30b3272ef2805531c8a1827b.jpg923647304_WilliamandLoisMcCarthy.jpg.54ab1729ab9ec2f5157d81f5fed7c321.jpg

Have you tried newspapers to see about the Silver Star? What state was he from during his service? 

Found this newspaper article that mentions the Silver Star but not how he earned it.

Source:  Newspapers.com

a1.jpg

a1a.jpg

a1b.jpg

a1c.jpg

May be worth checking around this site here. They hold a ton of 30th records, I was able to find both the citation for a dual SSM recipient from the 30th I have in my collection.

Tonybulldog
On 7/19/2021 at 10:55 PM, 36thIDAlex said:

Thanks for posting this.  I have went through these general orders before and I couldn't find anything.  I have also went through after action reports trying to see if I could find it but to no avail.

Tonybulldog

He was promoted to SGT on DEC 29 1944 effective date DEC 25 1944   Stavelot Belgium.  Not sure what Gr 4 par 1 SO 235 is though.

Promotion to SGT.png