USMC Mamaluke

soldierblue

soldierblue

I have recently come into possession of a USMC Mamaluke. I would like to know what vintage it is ( I think it may be pre-40s) but I cannot find any info on the maker. It was manufactured by  Viking H-H INC, NY, and is so marked on the ricasso. It is named to Derek W. Price and bears the certification number 92 stamped on the drag, the throat of the scabbard and the spine of the sword. I,ve tried all manner of queries to get the info, but no luck. I am suspicious that Viking is no longer in business, and name and cert number searches have been fruitless as well. Can anyone here give guidance on this effort, Thanks.

soldierblue

Scabbard is disassembled for cleaning. Will try to accommodate you with photos ASAP.

I suspect your sword was made by Hilborn-Hamberger, a major seller of military sword until a few years ago.  They assigned name like "Viking" to different lines. some being higher quality than others.   If it has a number on the spine, it is probably Viet Nam War or later.  It shows the maker  had obtain Marine Corps Systems Command authorization to sell their swords to Marines. 

image.png.b62615c1dccc830982a59e7bcc0853bf.png    

soldierblue

My sword has the certification number hand stamped on it in the three locations mentioned in my second post. That etched one you show is quite attractive.

There is actually quite a lot of info on line about your man.  Derek William Price was born in Chinley, England on 9 May 1920 and was brought to the US as a baby.  He graduated from Montana State and enlisted in the Marines on 9 Jun 1941 and was commissioned on 2 Sep 1941.  During WWII he served on a number of ships including the USS Pennsylvania, the USS Mobile, and the USS Montery, the last as Commander of the ship's Marine Detachment in the South Pacific.  After the war he had an interesting assignment with the Marine Detachment in Peiping.  He retired as a lieutenant colonel on 1 may 1962 and died in San Diago on 9 Jun 1978.  his college yearbook photo:image.png.c61a6712c812bee2db521124b27dba03.pngimage.png.a65ae3a6c85e61750cbcf6e6f081b741.png

soldierblue

reschenk-

I thank you for the bio on Lt. Col. Price. Fascinating to know a few facts about the man. I did secure the sword from an auction held in San Diego, so I'm going to say your info nails it down. The sword was in pretty sad shape when it arrived here; the chrome finish had deteriorated to a fine overall red pepper rust. That has been remedied to the best degree short of re-plating. The sword itself was not bad, needing only a light cleaning and polish to the brass to make it right. I will try to make some pics to post ASAP. Thank you for your effort. My search skills are evidently lacking. Although not technically a military sword, I have also acquired a GAR sword as well. I will also share that here if it is allowed.

soldierblue

Alright men, here are the photos I managed to put up. Some are better than others, but you'll get the idea from these hopefully.

CIMG1458.JPG

CIMG1457.JPG

CIMG1465.JPG

CIMG1461.JPG

CIMG1467.JPG

CIMG1466.JPG

CIMG1471.JPG

CIMG1468.JPG

The sword cleaned up nicely. Were you able to get a date of production?

What were the qualifications for wearing the Mamaluke?

Chuck.

Beautiful sabre. I always found the history interesting about how the Marines went in a different direction with their officers' sabers.